Need Advice with Neck Bushing Sizer!?!

accur8

Beginner
Aug 6, 2013
The wife just got me a Rem. 700 AAC Edition and I really want to get the most out of the rifle. I have been reloading for a number of years and do neck size for all my bolt actions using just the standard neck sizer.

Figured I'd venture into the bushing realm.

Which way is best to determine bushing sizes? I'm aware of the 2 most common and was also wondering that if I went with the neck wall thickness method, if the thickness is measured after I turn the neck. Logically I am thinking yes, but want to be certain.

My other questions are:

Which method is best or most accurate?

How many bushing should I start with at what increments?

Not sure if the cartridge I'll be sizing is needed, but it is .308 Winchester.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Yes, measure the neck wall thickness after the neck has been turned.

I think a safe way to start is to obtain bushings .001, .002 and .003 less than the diameter of the bullet plus double the measured thickness of the bullet. One of those bushings should work well.

For years I've happily used the little Wilson in-line type sizing & seating dies and an arbor press for most of my precision rifle handloading. They're a little different than the gear used in the following article, but if you really want to delve into how to prepare a case for loading, take a look at this, from our friends over at 6mmBR.com:

http://www.6mmbr.com/JGcaseprep.html

Step 9 covers most of what you wanted to discuss, case neck thickness and neck sizing.

That article gets a little extreme about case prep, but that is how many of the serious long-range competitors do it. A national champion benchrest shooter who mentored me on handloading some years ago spends about 30 minutes On Each Case that he prepares for his benchrest rifle!

That may well be more than you want to do. It's sure more case prep than I want to do, so I pick and choose which of the case prep steps to skimp on, and which to embrace fully.

The two things I've found that improve the accuracy of my loads the most are:

1. Use consistently high quality components
2. Seat the bullet straight

Here's a link to another good article about the .308 Win, since that's what you're using:

http://www.6mmbr.com/308Win.html

Those two articles should get you going in the right direction, far better than anything I could jot down in a quick response here.

Regards, Guy

Guy Miner said:
Yes, measure the neck wall thickness after the neck has been turned.

I think a safe way to start is to obtain bushings .001, .002 and .003 less than the diameter of the bullet plus double the measured thickness of the bullet. One of those bushings should work well.............

Guy,
Wow, what an excellent resource those fellows put together. I can honestly say that my questions and concerns are rectified. Thanks again Guy. Now I just have to wait for my other 2 bushings to get here and I can start experimenting with the bushings.

Yes, those articles over on 6mmBR.com are outstanding. I've been referring people to the .308 Win article for years.

Best of luck with the new rifle. Your wife got you that? Wow! She's a keeper!

Also, well worthwhile in my opinion, to spring for a box of factory match-grade .308 ammo...

Federal Gold Medal, Black Hills, Nosler... Something with a reputation for shooting really well in a wide variety of .308 rifles. That box of factory ammo can give you an indication of what the rifle is capable of, and may well give you something to beat with your handloads. Warning - it's not always easy to beat .308 factory match ammo! I've shot doggone 2.5" - 3.0" 600 yard groups with Federal Gold Medal 168's!

Guy

Back