Need help - 220 swift loads

GKMAC

Beginner
Apr 4, 2006
I'd like to say hi,my first post.
I'm shooting a Ruger M77 220 swift.
50 g Ballistic Tip
35g of 4895 powder
The best group I've been able to get is 1 1/2 at 100yrds. I believe the swift is suposed to be better than that. What is the first thing I should change?

Thanks

GKMAC,

WELCOME to the Nosler board. Good bunch of guys here.

Nosler RG#5 list AA2520 as the most accurate powder. You might also want to try Varget, IMR4350, and RL15. You might also look at your COL and seat the bullets a little further out. Changing primers may also help. I have have great results with Federal GM210M primers.

I am using Varget in my M700 VLS 22-250 with the 50 gr BT and getting .5" groups.

JD338

I have a 77V Ruger at present [my third one] All have shot very small groups with 50 Ballistic Tips and IMR 4064 between 39 & 40 grains seems to be best [approach carefully from below] Another powder that works very well is Vihtavuori N140, at about the same charges. These will deliver close to 4000 fps in a 26" barrel and Mine shoots 5 into ½" regularly. Regards, Eagleye.

I also use IMR 4064, Remington 9 1/2 lg. rifle primers, Nosler 50 gr. BT, Winchester brass. It's been my experience that the best accuracy is between 3800 and 3900 fps., my velocity is 3834 at 40*.

transonic

GKMAC":2rys5jzq said:
I'd like to say hi,my first post.
I'm shooting a Ruger M77 220 swift.
50 g Ballistic Tip
35g of 4895 powder
The best group I've been able to get is 1 1/2 at 100yrds. I believe the swift is suposed to be better than that. What is the first thing I should change?

Thanks

First off welcome!

Everything you have listed (as components and rifle go ) should get you well under MOA. My load with H4895 and 50 BT shot in the .3's. Ditto for Reloder 15.

Thanks for the info.I spoke to a coworker and he recomended 4064 powder. I'm not worried about the speed,just accuracy. I was curious about how much the seating depth affected accuracy,and how to go about finding the right depth.

Let me ask this. Is all this accuracy info in the Nosler reloading manual? I need to buy a new one. The one that came with my reloader seems to be an old manual(Lyman 45th edition). I have thought about buying it before since I load Ballistic tips exclusivly in all my rifles.

Hello GKMAC, I was the new guy last month, this place is great. I bought a ruger 77 used 25 years ago in 220 swift and never regretted it . I started with a Lymen reloading manual ,# 47 I think, and it listed IMR 3031 for 55 gr bullets and they shot well. Later I got 55gr bt's and used the same powder and it shot even better, some groups around 1\2 inch. After that I got a nosler reloading manual and it didnt even list IMR 3031. Needless to say, I haven't changed, still use the same load, 35.5 gr,not the max, just accurate maybe 3850 fps. This rig has the longest shot of my shooting career. A ground squirrel at 489 lasered yards. It took me 8 shots to get him, but I got him.The only change to this load is that I molly coat the bullets. Once you figure out your swift your going to have a good time.

GKMAC":2k8regea said:
Let me ask this. Is all this accuracy info in the Nosler reloading manual? I need to buy a new one. The one that came with my reloader seems to be an old manual(Lyman 45th edition). I have thought about buying it before since I load Ballistic tips exclusivly in all my rifles.

Yes it is. They and other manuals explain this

Back