Need some help with this

DevilDawg

Beginner
Apr 10, 2006
Didn't quite know where to post this decided to give this topic a try..I bought some older ammo today one type that I know nothing about.They are Winchester rimfire 9mm paper shotgun shells.Box says they are "Adapted to model 36 shot gun cal.9mm.They appear to be pretty old..Can anyone help me out with some additional info?

singlesix006qg7.jpg

I did a quick check on gunbroker.com
this is what I found: (I just cut and pasted the description of this item)

This auction is for a very nice Winchester model 36 bolt action, single shot shotgun chambered for the very rare 9mm rim fire shell. You don't see very many of these around as they only made 20,000 of them. They were mainly used as a scarecrow (to scare away pigeons and such). It is about a third the size of a .410 shell. This gun is in great condition for a gun of its age. It has a few small dings on the stock but overall in excellent condition. It has possibly been refinished but if so it was very nicely done (just to make clear, 2 of us at the shop say that it has been refinished and 2 say that it has not - All four of us are not experts and not that bright!) So take it for what it is (an opinion) and look close at the pics or call us about it! The blueing is starting to thin and has some small bad spots. It is still a fantastic looking gun!
It comes with 2 factory original shells! We also have 2 boxes of newer manufactured shells that we will sell for $25 each. And we have a oringinal partial box of Winchester shells that we will be willing to part with (contact about pricing)

This is the listing of this gun in 2004 Standard Catalog of Firearms:
The model 36 was the second of the single-shot shotguns to be introduced in 1920. This model features a bolt-action that is cocked by pulling the firing pin head to the rear. It is fitted with an 18" round barrel, chambered for the 9mm Long Shot, 9mm Short Shot, and 9mm Ball interchangeably, plain gumwood straight-grip stock with special metal pistol grip trigger guard. Winchester referred to this model as the "Garden Gun" for use against birds and pests around the house and barn. This model was not serial numbered. It was dropped from the product line in 1927 having sold about 20,000 guns.

Back