Nevada ?

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
I saw two great pronghorn bucks in Nevada, near Ely. Yesterday and the day before. Anyone know how hard it is to draw a Nevada tag?

Great country around Ely. I lived in Winnemucca for a bit over 10 years. Used to see speed goats north of Lovelock on some of my explorations. After moving to Tucson I still would go up and hook up with a hunting buddy and we's do an elk hunt up in Oregon and Washington. One night while on the way up I was going over the hump by Ely I had the feeling I was being watched. Now there was a lot of snow and ice on the road and I was in 4 wheel high literally crawling along. Colder'n hell with the heater going full blast and the window open. A trucker once told me that was the best way to stay awake and it does seem to work. As I went along, I glanced out of the window and :shock: :shock: :shock: there was a cow elk walking along side the truck with her head almost sticking into the window. Damn near went off the road. This was about 3 in the AM, I had my .44 Mag. Ruger Super B on the seat next to me and I have to admit, the temptaion was great. Instead I hit the horn and she took off back the way she'd come.
I took some very nice Mule Deer off of Mt. Lewis which is just south of Battle Mountain. I do miss living up there in Nevada but when the job says move, you move. It was a blessing in a way. They closed that weather station down about 5 years after the move. :(
Paul B.

First time I saw antelope was on the CA/NV line, in Nevada, by Bodie, CA.
I was working out of a line camp for an outfit back when I was a kid. managed to see my first wild horse too. We didn't have wild horses around home. Always wanted to get in to that herd and rope one wild horse, but never got the opportunity. Probably a good thing though as I ain't sure how I'd have uncaught it.

I think it took me 3 years to draw my tag but I wasn't really after any trophy zone I just wanted to hunt. Now I have 4 more years probation before I can apply again

I think it might be easier for a non-res than a res I've applied for 7 or 8 years and nothing. Since I started applying in 99 I've had 4 tags 3 deer and one cow elk 2 of which are this year.

nvbroncrider":qrr8exrr said:
I think it might be easier for a non-res than a res I've applied for 7 or 8 years and nothing. Since I started applying in 99 I've had 4 tags 3 deer and one cow elk 2 of which are this year.

You know? You just might be right. I moved to Arizona August of 1979 and starting the next year I've put in for antelope every year since the move and have not drawn yet. :shock: :x
In that same time I've dawn for elk three times IIRC and deer eight times. Probably my fault on deer as I prefer to hunt up north rather than down in the southern part of the state. I could probably hunt every year if i put in for the southern part but one, it's usually too damn hot and two there is the illegal alien/drug smuggler thing to look out for. My buddy Don in Winnemucca seems to be able to draw an elk tag every year for a cow elk in the Ely area but he can't draw a deer tag to save his life.
On the rare occasion I draw a tag fro the Kaibab, I see more out of stte license plates than in state vehicles. That has a tendebcy to torque my jaws.
Paul B.

Back