never been much into shotguns

Ridge_Runner

Handloader
Sep 29, 2006
other than turkey hunting I rarely shoot a shotgun, but looking through my inventory and the shape our country is in, I thought the only home defense shotguns I had were an o/u 20 ga. a combination 12/223, and 2 long barreled semi-auto turkey guns so..... had to look into something to fill that slot. Settled on a citadel boss 25, will break it in after I get the stitches
out of my wrist next week
ECpeIO0.jpg

That shotgun has a strictly business kind of look.
Loaded up with Federal 00 Buck using the flight control wad makes for a 0-50 yard death wish.
Very nice home defense set up.

JD338

other than turkey hunting I rarely shoot a shotgun, but looking through my inventory and the shape our country is in, I thought the only home defense shotguns I had were an o/u 20 ga. a combination 12/223, and 2 long barreled semi-auto turkey guns so..... had to look into something to fill that slot. Settled on a citadel boss 25, will break it in after I get the stitches
out of my wrist next week
ECpeIO0.jpg
That definitely looks as if it will put the fear of God on anyone required to face it!:eek:

That shotgun has a strictly business kind of look.
Loaded up with Federal 00 Buck using the flight control wad makes for a 0-50 yard death wish.
Very nice home defense set up.

JD338
just got 250 rounds of win. OO buck, and 250 rounds of fed heavy field #4's,, running a turkey choke and #4's for sight in/breakin. have 5 cases of m855 5.56's to back them up before they breech the front door!

In my younger days, I steered clear of shotguns, other than a single shot for grouse and hares, as my friends spent big dollars n their O/Us and sporting clays, and I didn't have the spare funds to do so...I was already spending enough on my hunting rifles and fly fishing gear. (My current single shot is a Winchester Model 37A in 28 Ga., as the 410 in the same gun of my youth has long since departed paths.)

Times have changed, and I now find myself acquiring some shotguns over the past 10 years. It started slowly, with a Remington 1100 Sporting 28 in 2014 or 15, which turned out to be a great investment at a great price (compared to what these are going for today!) with very pretty wood, and both the wife and I have had a lot of fun hunting grouse with. She laid claim to it, so I HAD to acquire another 28 for myself! I went with a Benelli Ethos. Another beautiful shotgun that is nice and light and fun to shoot! (Life is rough, but glad to be me!) The only downside to these fine shotguns is that they are right handed.

I have had the odd pump for bear defense over the years, and last year after finally finding a LH 870 Magnum Slug Gun with 20" barrel and rifle sights, I sold my RH 870 Tactical. The new to me LH is in mint condition and was made in 1972. So I have my defense shotgun, for vermin of any variety!

Recently, I acquired another Model 1100, this one in the Sporting 20. Again, pretty wood! Will have to find a Sporting 410 someday to further the set! But again, RH.
There is a very pretty one (Sporting 410) on GunBroker right now, but I cannot bid on it as the site won't allow me to update my CC info. Oh, well...always fun to have a firearm on the Bucket List! LOL

And then yesterday, I found a LH Model 1100 in 20 Ga with High Grade wood, so I sent a deposit for it. Research shows it to be a 1977 version, that is either a Premier Grade, or a Custom Shop shotgun. Unfortunately, the s/n research does not provide any info as to which it may be. If anyone knows, can they share info on how to determine this?

Going to have to make the time this year to get out to range on Skeet Night to learn how to shoot these fine guns better!

I am even starting to think about a bird dog to assist with retrieving those birds that fall in the thick brush and rough terrain...perhaps a French Brittany or a Llewellin setter...anyone here have one of these breeds that can provide some feedback? Or what bird dog do you have and why?
(I have never really thought about bird dogs before, having been around Akitas and Elkhounds over the years, and kind of partial to Beagles and Heelers.)

Oh, the paths this passion leads us down! ;)

Back