New 220 Swift build

glane5910

Beginner
Jun 11, 2011
I just finished this Rem 700 in 220 Swift yesterday. Blue printed action, 26" Shilen 5.5 contour tube. H.S. Precision stock and a Leupold 6.5-20 30mm glass with the varmint hunter reticle.

Attachments

• 220 Swift 1a_1.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 477
That is one cartridge that could interest me in securing a .224 calibre rifle. It is a good looking piece you show. I'm certain the load development will be interesting.

Thanks Dr. Mike
I've shot the 220 for many years now. This will be my 3rd Swift. Best powder so far has to be H-380. This is a 9 twist barrel so I really wasn't sure if it would blow apart lead core varmint bullets or not. I have to use lead free stuff so I had been shooting barnes varmint grenades. The 50gr need a 10 or faster twist. Shilen didn't make a 10 twist so I went with the 9. I shot it yesterday with Nosler BT lead core and Barnes lead free VG's. The Nosler's held up just fine so that will give me other options with their lead free BT..
I'll put some on paper next. The Swift is just a rocket, super accurate etc.

That looks nice, the classics like the 220 Swift are great rounds that deserve to live on.

Thanks gerry, I couldn't agree more about keeping them alive. Must be something good about them to last since what, 1935 or so?

glane5910":u84u0whx said:
Thanks gerry, I couldn't agree more about keeping them alive. Must be something good about them to last since what, 1935 or so?

My Speer manual says 1935, you are right these classics must do things really well to still survive. Swift, Hornet, Roberts, Whelen ,you don't have to say anymore for people to know what you're talking about :)

I have shot a buddies Swift a few times. They sure are fast! That is a good looking one you have built.

gerry":305vi6fx said:
glane5910":305vi6fx said:

My Speer manual says 1935, you are right these classics must do things really well to still survive. Swift, Hornet, Roberts, Whelen ,you don't have to say anymore for people to know what you're talking about :)

Those are classics indeed. I just picked up a mint Rem 600 in 350 Rem mag. Pretty cool old rifle and has to be quite a thumper!

glane5910

Very nice, congratulations on your 220 Swift build. I am sure it will be a shooter.
The new Nosler 64 gr BSB bullet would be an impressive combo.

JD338

Greg,
I feel a little like a drug dealer right now because I'm about to start an addiction you'll really like :twisted: . SPS is Nosler's outlet store that sell Blems, overruns and other inventory at about 1/2 price or better. The Blems are only cosmetic so the perform just like first runs! Here is the link - let me know what you think. :mrgreen:
http://www.shootersproshop.com/
Have fun,
Scott

muleman":9mzteg89 said:
Greg,
I feel a little like a drug dealer right now because I'm about to start an addiction you'll really like :twisted: . SPS is Nosler's outlet store that sell Blems, overruns and other inventory at about 1/2 price or better. The Blems are only cosmetic so the perform just like first runs! Here is the link - let me know what you think. :mrgreen:
http://www.shootersproshop.com/
Have fun,
Scott

And let the games begin! :lol:

glane5910":32fmt8oy said:
This is a 9 twist barrel so I really wasn't sure if it would blow apart lead core varmint bullets or not. I have to use lead free stuff so I had been shooting barnes varmint grenades. The 50gr need a 10 or faster twist. Shilen didn't make a 10 twist so I went with the 9. I shot it yesterday with Nosler BT lead core and Barnes lead free VG's. The Nosler's held up just fine so that will give me other options with their lead free BT.

Those Barnes bullets must be exceptionally long to need a 10-twist; I've had good luck with lead-core bullets in a 14-twist. I'm surprised you weren't vaporizing those Nosler's with a 9-twist.

BTW, that's a nice looking set-up you've got; I'd be interested in knowing what size five-shot groups it shoots -- regularly.

Beautiful rifle in a great cartridge! Wow. Just don't let Kurt see this or you will hear a knock on your door. You will open it and a guy with drool on the edge of his mouth will be standing there shaking like a dog about to get a treat! I see you took the bait and let these buggers tip you off to that darn SPS site also. They are nothing but trouble this bunch!

Let us know how she shoots! Pictures, need more pictures!
David

It's been pretty windy the past few days and snowed some last night. I'm anxious to see how this shoots on paper. I was very surprised the Nosler lead core didn't come out in a puff of smoke. I made sure they were intact by shooting them at a piece of 1/16th or so thick sheet metal someone had left out where I test fire. It was about 35 yds away and the Nosler's went right thru it. They were starting to disrupt as soon as they hit. The holes were round and close to 7mm or so OD.

Back