New 300 rum

laker

Beginner
Jun 25, 2006
Newest rifle built for the up and coming hunting season. 300 RUM Remington 700, Christensen arms barrel, holland recoil lug, Wyatt’s mag box, trigger tech trigger, holland radial baffle brake, sitting in a bell and Carlson ultralight stock. With a leupold vx5hd 3-15x44 sitting in Talley one piece rings and bases it goes 8.5lbs ready to hunt.
3774E90E-B927-46AC-BD8F-006CB1596C63.jpeg

Reloading dies and brass won’t be here till tomorrow but I had a couple hornady factory 220 grain eldx loaded rounds so I figured I’d take the rifle with on the trapline. It put three shots under a quarter at 130 yards. I’d say she has some potential

That's a lot of cartridge. Ought to be able to take on any critter in North America, and then some.

Consider a 200 gr Accbond and a max load of Retumbo. Well proven 300 RUM load. Worked great from my rifle.

Regards, Guy

Certainly a business-like rifle. You're looking good and certainly well-equipped to tackle about anything North America has to offer.

That's a great looking rig Laker! That's great the factory stuff shot so well, I am kinda liking having the ability of having a box of something that can work in a pinch.

That thing should be a wicked performer on just about everything. Seen a 300 RUM knock a bull down at 530 yards one year in Oregon, was mighty impressive!

Whats your intended bullet from it?

That's a really nice rifle. I have a 300wm with a Christensen barrel and it shoots really good. I have a similar one in the works. It will be a Gunwerks action, Hells Canyon Armory carbon fiber wrapped Brux 8.5 twist, in a edge fill McMillan Game Warden stock, and a Jewell trigger. I'll run one of my titanium muzzle brakes too. Most likely it will have a 4x24 VX6 Leupold on it.

I haven't hunted with a 300RUM in quite a few years so I thought it was about time to revisit it. Killed a deer with one in 2004 at 813yds. I have a factory Rem 700 too that I've never shot for hunting. I use it for testing muzzle brakes.

Nice rifle! I wonder what it would be like to touch off a 180 or heavier without that brake? :eek:

I've only chambered 2 Scotty and only shot one much, it's a 300wm. It shoots pretty good. I shot a 2.25" group at 790yds with the 9th through 11th shots through it and shot about a 5" group at 947yds.

taylorce1":1rqk9z05 said:
Nice rifle! I wonder what it would be like to touch off a 180 or heavier without that brake? :eek:

Years ago I had a rather light 700 CDL 300 RUM. No brake.

Worked up a great load with 200 gr Nosler Accubonds and my goodness!

Had a box of 200 gr Nosler Partitions, factory ammo, Oh My Goodness!

My 375's don't belt me nearly as hard... :grin:

Guy

Guy Miner":2fbycqwu said:
taylorce1":2fbycqwu said:

Years ago I had a rather light 700 CDL 300 RUM. No brake.

Worked up a great load with 200 gr Nosler Accubonds and my goodness!

Had a box of 200 gr Nosler Partitions, factory ammo, Oh My Goodness!

My 375's don't belt me nearly as hard... :grin:

Guy

Unless your .375 is a RUM without a brake. Had a buddy who owned one that way, didn't take him long to part ways with it.

Guy Miner":uzx5owe7 said:
Consider a 200 gr Accbond and a max load of Retumbo. Well proven 300 RUM load. Worked great from my rifle.

Regards, Guy

Seems the 300 RUM likes 200ABs with 95gr of Retumbo. Mine sure does.

As for recoil, mine isn't that bad, but it's not a light as the one the OP has. Mine has a laminate thumbhole stock on it.

Back