New 338-06 Test Load

TXbaldhunter

Handloader
May 12, 2007
Sent one of my 30-06 rifles to JES and had it rebored to a 338-06.I ran some test loads and this is one of my three shot groups at 100yds using 59.0grs of Ramshot Big Game and a 200gr Nosler Ballistic Silvertip.I think I'll try that one again.Gotta love those Nosler bullets.2800+ fps with a 200gr bullet should make it a real thumper.

Attachments

• 338-06.jpg
    338-06.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 1,212
Awesome. Good shooting.
Don't overlook the 210 PT. It's like that bullet was was made for the 338-06.

Great choice on the 338-06. Lots of bullet choices, lots of performance from that case and Caliber!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That'll certainly get the attention of anything you choose to hunt. Fine riflery.

I've got some 200gr BTs that I shoot at 2750ish with H380 and darned near one hole accuracy with my 338-06. Shooting in late winter last year I saw a bullet in the frozen berm, it was just the jacket. It weighed about 97gr without any lead. That bullet will work great for anything in NA.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Very nice shooting! That is a crusher of a load. Probably not too much to worry about with that 200 grain BT either.. Heard it darned near worked the same as a Partition.

Looks like it likes Varget with those 210gr Nosler Partitions too.

Attachments

• 338-06 210 NP.jpg
    338-06 210 NP.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 1,039
HOLY SMOKES! Sir, you are done with load work in my opinion. No reason to fiddle with anything else with those 210’s shooting like that at 2700. Nothing on our continent or just about anywhere else will wanna tangle with that.

I sent Jesse a thank you letter today.He does very good work and only charged $250.00 with return shipping included for the 5 groove rebore he did for me.The rifle shoots much better than it ever did as a 30-06.

Yeah, he does great work. The only thing I’ve ever done to his rebores is lap them a little. I’d use him again in a heartbeat.

He did my 35Whelen/AI and it shoots good but I had to send it back because he short throated the chamber and I was shoving bullets deep into the case when I chambered a round.
He fixed it but I had to pay shipping both ways which I didn't care for to fix his mistake.

And he must have had trouble chambering rounds when he tested the rifle since I found unburnt powder in the action.
Not every body can have a good experience and I didn't.

That’s a fact TD.. he’s been good to a few of us but I know mistakes are made.

Those are great looking loads. I am amazed that a 30-06 size case can get those 200 and 210 grain bullets traveling that fast. What a super combination. It sounds like a heck of a big game cartridge.

Dan

Yes it's an interesting cartridge.Because it has a larger bore,you can use a little higher dose of faster burning powder than what you would use in the 30-06 with those big bullets.I was able to get 2818fps with 60.0grs of Winchester 760 with the 210gr Partitions and 3018fps with 58.0grs of Varget with a 180gr AccuBond,but the groups were around 1 1/4"-1 1/2" with those loads.Still not too bad,but I like my rifles to shoot under an inch consistently.Looks like the 4350 powders are the slow powders for this cartridge and the powders that work with the 308 Win are the ones that work well in this cartridge.

I have some of the new Shooters World powder coming today, both Precision and SW4350, going to try and see what it can do.

I'll probably use 200gr HotCor or Interlocks to get initial velocity readings and then try either the ballistic tips or Accubonds.

I think I'll have it in the stable this year but won't plan on hunting with it as my main rifle until next year.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Back