New 700 243 is a shooter

Those gals that run the sporting goods department are sweethearts. Your lucky you bought it where you did and from who you did. We'll have to do some shooting this weekend as I would like to chrony my 70 BTs W/ RL-17. I have been saving a bunch of milk jugs up for a long time. We'll have to fill them up and go set them out on some hills and practice in the field a bit.

Maybe we can find a yote or two to test these bullets out on. I've never shot one with a 70gr. BT.

JD338":15r68ra3 said:
Remmy,

I am glad you got a good one. I am happy to hear that you were not detained by LE for loading the rifle in the parking lot. :lol:

JD338

I'm pretty sure that in Hermietown any LE would be coming over to check out your new toy!

Heres what the 243 did today, left and middle target.

Left target was 200 yards with 45g AA4350/70g NBT. Middle target was minimal work up with H4350/70g NBT. Right target is my lovely 700 ADL triple deuce. Experimenting with H4198/40g vmax to substitute its pet IMR4198/40g vmax load due to being an "extreme" series powder. Think it likes 21.5g of H4198, where as it shoots this way regularly with 20.9-21g of IMR4198. Velocity is same around 3550-3600 with both powders, with this particular load of 21.5g H4198 giving 3575fps with the 40g vmax and my 24" tube. Makes a dandy 300 yard coyote rifle/perfect if your a good caller, not so perfect if your not, thats why I got the 243 :)

9r0mjc.jpg

My 700 ADL triple deuce, topped with a new nikon buckmasters 3-9 w/duplex, all this rifle needs.

2jc7soy.jpg

remingtonman_25_06":19yq2v0k said:
My 700 ADL triple deuce, topped with a new nikon buckmasters 3-9 w/duplex, all this rifle needs.

2jc7soy.jpg

Ooh, .222.... drooling

DrMike":14hujlaz said:
Unfortunately, Remington quality has been hit or miss for me. In fairness to Remington, usually I've been able to make the rifle shoot with some TLC. I have a CDL in 260 that is waiting to be tapped for a larger base screw (Talley included the wrong screws and I didn't catch it when I was putting the rings on) and a new Remington 280 Anniversary model which is awaiting a scope (Leupold 4.5 x 14 VX3 which I'll put on in June). I can't say how either of these shoot, yet. However, my 257 Bob CDL SF needs some attention to shoot acceptably, much as my 673 in 350 RM did. I don't mind some work, but it is rather constant for me. OTOH, recently I've shot a couple of Senderos that were tack drivers. There is still some quality in these, I believe.

I spoke with the gentleman who took my CDL 25-06 for trade at Kittery Trading Post when I took my rifle in. I told him all about the rifle and what I did with it and why. He said he has had more Remingtons come back to him this past year than he has ever seen. He mentioned he is a huge M700 fan (former Marine) but he would not steer his customers to Remington unless they were bent on having one. He said he has been steering towards more Brownings and Winchesters, since customers are reporting good out of the box accuracy and they are around the same price as equal Remingtons. Again, I am not a hater on Remington, as I have two good ones I will never part with, and with some money put towards them, they can be made to shoot excellent. BUT, with a tiny amount of attention to detail when they are putting them together, they would be excellent right off the factory floor!

Heck, even Marlin is inserting pillars in their inexpensive XL7 series of rifles, how cool would that be! To buy a nice new rifle and know if has already been somewhat taken care of accurizing wise! Pillars are 10.00 from Brownells and you can't tell me a HUGE company like Remington or any of the others couldn't put them in right from the get go! Sorry, off my soap box, but a little more attention to our factory rifles would really make a big impact on the shooting community I think. I don't like to mess with bedding rifles, I like to shoot them, and they should be accurate and consistent with decent loads.

Remmy, sweet 222! What an awesome little cartridge! Scotty

Scotty, it's not the parts, it paying semi-skilled labor to install the parts. They don't want to pay someone for QC, so they really aren't going to want to pay somebody for this!

I am with you buddy! I think Remingtons have excellent parts. I LOVE the CDLS- I think they are some of the best handling and looking bolt guns made in traditional Walnut and Blued Barrels. BUT, they are crap when it comes to putting the wood and metal together. They look REALLY good till you peel the stock off and take a peek. That is where the quality is really lacking. I can't imagine in todays big machine world why they can't get their act together! Scotty

Mike

I just haven't had those issues with remingtons. For me, they've been the easiest best shooting rifles for me hands down. Im not a tinkerer with gunsmithing so last thing I do is float, bed, etc...First and only thing I do to rifles is get the trigger down to 2-3 lbs, pick a good known accurate bullet, along with a well known powder and get to work. I expect 1 MOA for 3 shots from a bench consistently out of factory rifles with my handloads, if they wont/dont do that, there not hanging around long. I've had several 700s and everyone made the cut quite easily. Had a lot of Rugers and they all made the cut. Had a few Win 70s and all but 1 7 STW made the cut, it just wasn't consistent at all, 1.5 MOA rifle. Had 3 savages and.....well, anyone who knows me knows how I feel about Savage. There wont be another savage in my house for as long as I'm alive is all I can say, right up there with Barnes bullets... The senderos are dang nice rifles. I've got to play with a few over the years and all have been 1/2 MOA shooters with little load work. Seems amazing to me now that I look at it, but I've yet to own a Sendero...7 RUM has me scratching my heads these days however...

Jake

Your right about that! I am very fortunate I bought it from there, if it was sportsmans or anywhere else around here, I dotn think they would have taken it back. And yes, we will get to shooting this weekend. I'm gonna load up some more test loads with H4350 over the week. Haven't shot a dog for 2 weeks now, think I'm having withdrawls, lol. Ahh no worries on those 70s, I've shot a few dogs with em out of my moms 243 and they work great. You dont get runners with em like you do the 55s every now and again. They flat smack the poop out of em, and do it out there a little bit further then the 55s to!!! I think 700 yards is a good number, still around 1600fps anyways which is enough to open up and kill a coyote.

There are some fine groups there. They show not only a good weapon, but a fine rifleman with discipline to shoot well. The triple deuce is an interesting round, and that is a fine looking rifle.

Back