New build ideas

yellow dog

Beginner
Sep 17, 2012
I have a rem 721 action from a .270 that I want to build a new gun on any ideas?

280AI
.375 rugger
26 nosler

Just a few ive been thinking about

I tend to shoot my smaller lower recoiling rifles more than my heavy hitters so one of those would be my choice. If your stacked in those areas then go bigger. Tells us what you have now and then it would be easier to suggest something to fit in.

IdahoCTD":3dkctip2 said:
I tend to shoot my smaller lower recoiling rifles more than my heavy hitters so one of those would be my choice. If your stacked in those areas then go bigger. Tells us what you have now and then it would be easier to suggest something to fit in.

YD,

In addition, what are you going to use the rifle for?

JD338

I believe a 280AI would likely suit you well if you want something that is not real heavy in the recoil department but will tackle most game up & including a Bull Moose!
Rifle twist will determine how heavy a bullet you can go and there are a number of great bullets in the 284 cal.
I can't wait until I start to play with my new custom 280AI 8).

Blessings,
Dan

Of that list the 280 AI stands out as the best choice for that action.

You would have to have the bolt face opened up to handle the 375 or 26Nosler so I think I would keep it based on the 30-06 size brass or you could find a magnum bolt and have it fitted to the action.

Just to be different, 400 Whelen... There, you made me do it, leaving it all open ended and up to my mind to decide! HA!

Timely topic, cleaned out Sande's grandfather's attic and found a Remington 721 in 270. No one knows how long it's been since it was last fired. Bore and barrel have significant rust but the bolt and boltface are clean. I was kinda thinking 300 HH. But a 280 AI would be good. I want to get it running for my stepson. He would like to hunt with great grandpa's rifle. The bore is bad enough I don't think it would be safe, much less accurate. Think I'm leaning to the 280, but 6.5/06 sounds good too.

I've already got a 250 3000, an old savage 99. Keep it next to the deck door for blasting the occasional song dog. But I forgot, this is not my topic, so I will continue to read and learn.

Yellow Dog and Salmonchaser - I think a 280 or a 280AI would be a great build caliber. So too would the 6.5-06 or 6mm-06 for something really scorching. I'd keep it on something from the wholesome and healthy 30-06 case!!

IdahoCTD":3hh9qmkk said:

+1

If you're looking to replace the 270 a 280 AI is a great direction to go.

Those other 2 sound nice but I love to shoot my rifles a fair bit and wouldn't those for reasons of powder burning, blast, and recoil.

6-06 would be awesome, too.

6.5-06 is one I forgot to mention. I have been leaning heavy towards it.

I have a .264, .260, 6.5 284. so im not sure where it fits. (not real sure what that has to do with anything :grin: )

what do you think about the .284 win? I know this would better fit a short action build.

has there been any reviews on the 26 nosler yet?

...actually the .284, like the 7X57 fits better in a long action, you can "make" it fit in a short action, but you have to seat the bullets deep, reducing the case volume. A long action allows you to use long, high BC bullets set out. Actual case capacity is very close to a .280, cases tend to be available fairly regularly, good bullet selection, not a bad option...

A .284 is actually better on a LA but I'd do a .280AI if it was me. Brass is easier to obtain and you get more velocity.

You could also do a magnum if you open the bolt face or order a PTG bolt. I personally think the 26 Nosler would be better as a 7mm. It would be like a better packaged 7STW. 162/168gr bullets at 3300+ and 180's at 3200 would be a pretty good caliber and the ballistics would stomp a 26 with probably double the barrel life.

Back