new build started (updated)

shoots_5

Handloader
May 15, 2009
First step of my dream build got started last night! I ordered a .30 cal titanium suppressor from templar tactical...got it for just over half price so I couldn't resist. I figured by the time all the paperwork cleared the BATF the rest of the rifle would be about complete. Here's what I've got planned....

Remington 700 action, will be fully trued at time of rebarrel
Obermeyer 6.5mm barrel, 1:8.4 twist, Remington varmint contour
Chambered in 260 Remington
Manners T5A stock in od green with their mini chassis system and DBM
Leupold mark 4 6.5-20x50 M5 FFP TMR reticle
Atlas bipod
Metal will be cerakoted in sniper grey

I have it down to 2 smiths, but still not settled on which one will be putting it together.

Now for my question...I have no personal experience with the 260, and I'm debating barrel length. Right now I'm thinking 24". With that length and from what I've read about the suppressor possibly adding some velocity is that an appropriate length? I'm worried about going longer and having it be too cumbersome to practically use in the field. Rifle will be used for long range target, some hunting of deer sized game and predators and I really want to get into tactical type competition. Planning on shooting either 130 or 140 Berger's.

Can't wait to have the finished project....luckily it looks like I'm going to be plenty distracted attending the police academy while it's being built! Otherwise I'm not sure I could stand the wait!

shoots_5, look like you got in on the group buy good work. i am building a 260 ai this winter but using a 22" barrel on it and a elite iron cqc suppressor the barrel length will shave off about 100 fps but the can is only six inches long and will fit into any case i have without disassembly. i am not sure the can will boost velocity as i have never heard that before. i think you will be happy with the end results. send me a pm and i will give you my number if your not dead set on a remington action i may have an option you will be interested in and a smith. good luck on the build.

Personally, a 24 inch barrel would be my max. It sounds like a very cool build.

I'm not saying this will be the case, but check your COAL with the 140 Bergers versus what the box in the DBM will allow. You may end up wanting to go 6.5x47 Lapua or 6.5 Creedmoor, instead, if they fit the box better. It may fit perfectly, I just don't know, and I'd hate to discover issues after you mail the final check.

Who are you looking at to build it?

Nice sounding build and a great caliber to work with. You may find the 130's more to your liking with the 260. My 6.5X47 is being throated for the 130 VLD. BK is right about what your OAL will be with DBM type of bottom metal. Some smiths can make adjustments to them, but they never seem to feed properly.

The can is a nice idea...wish it was legal where I live :evil: . Good luck

I measured my magazine as having 2.92" from edge to edge inside. Looking at my Sierra manual it shows max COAL at 2.8", not sure how much longer the 140's need to be seated out...anybody know? The 130's may very well be a better option. You can certainly punch them out with a bit better velocity and they still have a pretty decent BC. I settled on the 260 Rem due to ease of finding or forming brass as well as it being less expensive and it and the 6.5x47 and the 6.5 creedmoor all have about the same ballistics.

The 2 smith's I'm considering are Wayne York http://www.oregunsmithingllc.com/About- ... vices.html

Or these guys http://www.nwactionworks.com/#!services/c1xvy

Mostly because they're local and I like dealing with people face to face whenever possible, and from what I've heard and read they seem to know what they're doing. That being said I will be calling usmc89's smith to discuss the build with him as well.

What I'm looking at right now for services that I need done are this:

- Remove current barrel & true Rem 700 action and bolt

- Chamber & Install barrel blank including cut and crown and thread for suppressor and include thread protector

- Cerakote barreled action

- Skim bed Manner's T5A stock (I ordered it with their mini chassis system which is factory bedded into the stock)

Sounds good - and somewhat familiar! :grin:

Sure you don't want a .308? Yeah, yeah, I know all about the ballistic superiority of the .264" bullets... But... Well... They're just kinda small ya know? :grin:

Seriously - great build - should turn out to be one heck of a rifle, a real keeper capable of varmint, big game, or match use.

Keep us posted! And, best of luck at the Academy. That thought brings back some (mostly good) old memories.

Guy

Interesting. I have looked at NWAW on the web before. Do you know where they are located? They kind of hint that they are in Portland, and the phone number is a 971 area code, but they never really come out and say where they are or give an address.

http://www.nwactionworks.com/#!components/c23j7 I wonder if their custom action is sourced from Defiance? It sure looks like it.

I talked to Wayne York a bunch of years ago at the Sportsman Show (I think) and he was showing off some very cool lightweight hunting setups.

BK, I don't know exactly where they are. And I think you may be right, it does look to be a defiance variation. Wayne's lightweight rigs are really impressive. It's amazing how light he can make a rifle and still keep very good accuracy! Just wouldn't be a rifle I'd want to shoot very much in most hunting calibers without bringing a pillow along for my shoulder! I've seen some of his work on a friends rifle and it was top notch. I actually just discovered nwaw, and don't know much about then yet, but they seem to specialize in building the exact type of rifle I'm looking for so that caught my attention.

Fotis, I think you're right. I'd have to go down to about a 20" barrel in order to fit the rifle in it's pelican case with the suppressor attached and that just isn't going to happen so I think 24" will give me the velocity I'm looking for and not be too crazy long with the can attached. It adds 8.75" to the barrel so it won't be a great woods gun but that's not what it's intended for. It doesn't sound like there will be much if any POI shift with taking it on and off though from reading this article. And more important it sounds to be repeatable.
http://www.templartacticalfirearms.com/ ... uppressor/
We'll see if it holds true or not.

Guy, I'm pretty sold on the 6.5 vs the .308....the only thing that would be really fun with the .308 that I can't feasibly do with the 6.5 is shoot subsonic rounds with the suppressor. Other than that about the only advantage I've come up with is finding factory ammo anywhere you go, but I plan on reloading so that shouldn't be an issue. And thanks, I'm really excited and a bit nervous going into it...I've heard some stories about the OSP only sections of it that aren't going to be too fun but you gotta pay to play right? :wink: Anyway, I've got some time still to train and get in better shape. Sounds like February or March at the earliest as they still are in the process of testing and interviewing additional candidates to fill out the class.

Update on this one....lots of changes! I was playing around on the web and was going to order some parts from southern precision rifles to get going on this build when I discovered that he was about to chamber a barrel for a barreled action that he was going to sell on his website using a Stiller TAC30 AW action with a Muellerworks 8.5 twist barrel finished at 24" with a threaded barrel with matching seamless thread protector, in 260 REM throated for 139-142gr....pretty much exactly what I wanted but with a different brand of barrel. So after exchanging a couple of emails with some questions I said I'll take it! I figured what the hell, why wait when I could have it in a few weeks? :grin:

Barreled action is going to be cerakoted in sniper grey, bolt left factory black finish. Bottom metal left black factory finish.

Going in a Manners T5A with their mini chassis system. Having the stock hydrodipped in a Multicam pattern.

Scope is a Leupold Mark 4 6.5-20x50 M5 FFP TMR reticle.

I have a titanium .30 cal suppressor finished in sniper grey also on order that I'll hopefully see in the next year sometime....but my ATF anger is for another thread. Until then I just ordered a brake to put on it from IdahoCTD.

Oh, and I have an Atlas bipod on a rail upfront for support.

I'm seriously way too excited! I can't wait to get this thing all put together and up and running. Speaking of which...I'm working on gathering reloading components for it....and saw that there is a bunch of the 140gr custom comps on SPS. Anyone have any experience with them? At that price probably worth a look for a practice round or shooting steel. Also I'm debating which dies to get. I'm leaning towards the Redding competition set. Any thoughts on die choice?

Also with this rifle I'm really hoping to get into shooting some competitions. With that my reloading practices could probably use a makeover towards the competition precision level. Are there any good resources out there that you would recommend that would take me through processes such as neck turning, concentricity, neck tension, using a bushing die vs standard die? Or just generally loading for precision/competition type practices?

Thanks for any and all help and I'll post pics as soon as I get this all put together! I'm sure I'll have more questions down the road. I suppose if you have any pet loads for the 260 I'd love to hear them too. I'm looking at using 130-140gr Berger VLD's, 140 Amax, 140 CC, 142 SMK, 139 Scenar, just looking for whatever shoots the best! Would love it if I could find one bullet that will shoot well enough for competition and also be suitable for hunting, but I'm ok with having a couple of different loads too. When is that LR AccuBond coming out again.... :mrgreen:

That sounds like a really good time! Good luck.

I have shot some of Yorks work. It was a 6 lbs 7RM with a huge nightforce on it. So it weighed closer to 7.5 lbs in the field. Picked a white spot out on a rock at 850 yards and let one fly. My buddy says, "well, the white spot is just a little bit bigger now". Did the same thing on another rock @ 950. He can build a very accurate rifle for sure. He is located in Pendelton I believe. His finish work seems to be top notch as well. I'll post a pic of the rifle he built that I got to play with.

That's a good looking rifle! And yes he's in Pendleton. I've only heard good things about his work.

Just got an email saying as soon as the smith gets my check and gets the barrel engraved he'll ship it out to my ffl that is doing the transfer. I should have it in a week or 2!

What dies would you go with for this? I've only ever used rcbs and one set of redding dies.

I really like Forster's and Redding's. Forster has the neck die as well that 257 Ackely uses for F Class shooting. He would be a great person to chat with about this, for your intended purposes as well.

Back