new build started (updated)

DF, Guy, anybody else with experience with the Wilson dies....I was shopping around last night for them looking for the best price and found seating dies for the 260 but got myself confused with the neck dies. Didn't find a specifically listed die for the 260 when I searched for it but on different sites found either the 243 Win die listed that you could use it for 260 and then on another site it listed the 308 die for use with 260. Is it all the same shoulder angle and therefor just dependent on what bushing you put in for sizing the neck? Sorry, first experience with this method of dies as well as with bushing dies so I want to check before I order the wrong ones and I'm confident that someone here can steer me in the right direction!

Thanks,
Tim

Yes they are the same but I would error on the larger caliber. A .243 might work but it depends on the hole size for the neck. With a .308 you know it will work. They are all the same case (.243, .260, 7-08, .308, .358).

Just called Russ Haydon's shop, he wasn't in, but spoke with a very nice lady and got some stuff ordered. Ordered the Jewell trigger with safety, no bolt stop. And got an arbor press and a set of Wilson dies ordered as well. They didn't have any of the micrometer tops for the seater dies though....so anyone know how you go about adjusting the depth on the standard? I'm guessing there will be directions that come with it, but I'm an impatient person....will likely be ordering the micrometer part when I find one. I was hoping that Russ was going to be there to help me with bushing size, but I tried to figure it out on my own. I don't have any loaded ammo, so couldn't measure and subtract. I have 100 pieces of RP virgin brass. I took a couple out and tried to measure the neck thickness with my calipers and then doubled that and added .264 to that and then subtracted .002. I came up with .292" so that's what I ordered. Should be close enough to get me started I think. Tracking number shows the rifle should be at my gunsmith's on Wednesday the 28th and I should have the trigger and dies before that, so hopefully I'll be up and running by the end of next week and be able to go do some load development next weekend!

so anyone know how you go about adjusting the depth on the standard? I'm guessing there will be directions that come with it

Make a dummy round. Place the dummy round into the seater die. Insert the plunger atop the seater die. Loosen the set screws that hold the seating stem. Push the plunger cap with your thumb until it seat flush atop the seater die. Tighten set screw and you're all set.

Back