New chronograph time..... update****

As Howie said it's real easy setting up and use. Sensor settings might to be changed to keep from getting a false reading but that's just a click of the button or changing the spacer on top of the unit that straps onto the barrel. Simple actually. Dan.

My Magnetospeed has retired my Oehler. Not sure if that’s spelled correctly or not. The MNS is dead on every time. I dont think I have even 10 rounds through the screens of my Oehler. Not because it doesn’t work but because there’s no tripod. No mounting to the tripod. No issues with lighting. Each has its place. If I’m at a public range it’s the Magnetospeed. If I’m out by myself setting up the Ohler is isn’t such an issue.

I can't think of any chronograph that's easier than the LabRadar. It's set up in two minutes and never needs adjustment. I switch between 3 rifles and don't need to touch the thing. You can operate it from your phone, which some users really like, but I don't bother. The buttons are all within reach from my shooting position.

The days of me setting up screens forward of the shooting line are loooong over!

A few years ago I looked at the LabRadar for around $600 and the Magneto speed sporter for under $200. Since I'm cheap I went with the Magneto speed and it works great. The only problem I had was with the original strap, so I called customer service and they sent 2 more at no cost. No problems since.

I like the idea of being able to work on velocities and accuracy at the same time without any shift of group that's why the magneto was a no deal for me

I like the idea of being able to work on velocities and accuracy at the same time without any shift of group that's why the magneto was a no deal for me
I would agree, but I have found that it only changes the poi not the group size. Once I find the velocity and group size I'm happy with, I take it off and shoot again to confirm. I have plenty of components and enjoy target shooting during load work up, so it's not an issue. If a guys short on components that would be a different story.

MagnetoSpeed V3 works for me. Have to adjust on the pencil barrel 280AI but seems to be consistent.

It moves POI a little but does it consistently if that makes sense.

I didn't like messing with mounting the Magestospeed, and found that it always seemed to loosen up no matter how much I tried to tighten it. That loosening changes harmonics, which changed groups. That's one of several reasons it was sold.

I didn't like messing with mounting the Magestospeed, and found that it always seemed to loosen up no matter how much I tried to tighten it. That loosening changes harmonics, which changed groups. That's one of several reasons it was sold.
Heard that before also

I went with the ProChrono DLX Ballistic Chronograph
I'm quick with the tripod style and this has Bluetooth...can shoot archery, handgun etc through it.
Made in USA which is extremely important to me.
(I own a business and USA made is paramount to us)

Anyways thx for all replies...

I'll post up some pics in use maybe in a week.

I mainly use the magneto speed for ladder test not for shooting groups. Depending on the caliber, rifle and loads being tested have had shots not to shift much from one powder wt. to the next while shooting the ladder test. Pros and cons to each, I guess. Dan.

I've been using a CED chronograph for decades, but recently purchased a LabRadar. Part of this was due to the available light available at the local range, as the screen were almost only in the shadows except during mid-Summer. I was able to try a LabRadar before I purchased a unit, otherwise I might not have gone that way.

Last edited:
Update****
Been anxious to try out the new Chronograph with the Bluetooth feature but it's been extreme overcast sky and rainy/snowing since I got this.
Had a window of time with no precipitation...
Get all setup with blue tooth on phone.
Get lined up to shoot.
Bang. Nothing. Bang..nothing
3 more times..same result.

Take back down...try another day.

Two days later...Another dry moment and try again.

Bang, nothing. WTH!!!

Light bulb goes off in brain...
Oh I know....completely forgot about a trick to use...
Sharpie five bullets...
Bang, 2920
Bang, 2910

I was very pleased with the new Chrono and the Blutooth connection.
Right on the phone display

If the readings don't come up on your phone turn the locations on in your phone. Also if you use it on a breezey day hang some weight on your tri pod.

Late to the party here, but I use the Pro-Chrono digital. No blue tooth or anything like that, just set it up usually 15 to 20 ft from the muzzle and mark down the readings when I'm done. I've always liked that there's nothing interfering with group size while I'm getting speed readings. Each type I imagine have their advantages and disadvantages.

It sometimes take 5 minutes back and forth to get everything set up just the way you want as far as crosshairs being on the 100 target for example and the chrono being set right where you want it when aiming at that target. Other times it's set up lickety split.

If the readings don't come up on your phone turn the locations on in your phone. Also if you use it on a breezey day hang some weight on your tri pod.
Yeah..i got some stakes for the three legs

Late to the party here, but I use the Pro-Chrono digital. No blue tooth or anything like that, just set it up usually 15 to 20 ft from the muzzle and mark down the readings when I'm done. I've always liked that there's nothing interfering with group size while I'm getting speed readings. Each type I imagine have their advantages and disadvantages.

It sometimes take 5 minutes back and forth to get everything set up just the way you want as far as crosshairs being on the 100 target for example and the chrono being set right where you want it when aiming at that target. Other times it's set up lickety split.
I always try to do it with a spotter.... look from the side...while I'm unloaded of course

is it going to clear...yes or no...Adjust or not...

Then spotter returns safely begind me and go cat go.

Doing it one self can be a pain at times no doubt.

I've been using a CED chronograph for decades, but recently purchased a LabRadar. Part of this was due to the available light available at the local range, as the screen were almost only in the shadows except during mid-Summer. I was able to try a LabRadar before I purchased a unit, otherwise I might not have gone that way.
Now you got the labradar it's a moot point..

But
Shadows...overcast....
Don't use the diffuser.
Maybe you already knew that.

Also black marker your bullets. Literally will go from no readings to reading every time.

Anything you don't like with the lab radar

Diffuser or not, I would see 100+ fps variation if it was a sunny day using my optical chrony. I took to shooting at the range very first thing in the morning or only on overcast days. Eventually getting the Labradar cured the problem

Back