New chronograph time..... update****

Diffuser or not, I would see 100+ fps variation if it was a sunny day using my optical chrony. I took to shooting at the range very first thing in the morning or only on overcast days. Eventually getting the Labradar cured the problem
Alrighty but you still didn't answer my last part..
These threads are very informative to readers and potential/future users...

Is there anything you don't like about the lab radar?

Late to the party here, but I use the Pro-Chrono digital. No blue tooth or anything like that, just set it up usually 15 to 20 ft from the muzzle and mark down the readings when I'm done. I've always liked that there's nothing interfering with group size while I'm getting speed readings. Each type I imagine have their advantages and disadvantages.

It sometimes take 5 minutes back and forth to get everything set up just the way you want as far as crosshairs being on the 100 target for example and the chrono being set right where you want it when aiming at that target. Other times it's set up lickety split.
OK, I had one of those el-cheapo Bushnell laser bore sighters laying around for a long time. I experimented once by inserting it in the muzzle and then a piece of cardboard behind the second sunshade posts, and just looked for the laser dot on the cardboard to indicate where the bullet path is. easy-peasy I used it many times until died and haven't spent the $25 to replace it. All this, of course, while the crosshairs were on the target.

Alrighty but you still didn't answer my last part..
These threads are very informative to readers and potential/future users...

Is there anything you don't like about the lab radar?
The cost?
The app can be a bit quirky, though it's much better than it used to be. In the days when middle school kids design apps for your phone, one would think that a company using it as the main connection to their expensive equipment would do better. I don't change the settings for the caliber and weight of the bullet as I really don't care; I want an accurate speed not the ft-lb calculation.
You need to have a fast SD card, a battery power source and think about getting a remote trigger. Buying all 3 prevents missed shots, having AA batteries die, and slow function. I also have the stand for it, though I've also used a tripod. Both are viable.

However, I now don't have to set up in front of my shooting table, I don't care if it's sunny, and my POI never shifts due to my chronograph. I also don't risk shooting the chrony. I also never doubt the readings I'm getting.

The cost?
The app can be a bit quirky, though it's much better than it used to be. In the days when middle school kids design apps for your phone, one would think that a company using it as the main connection to their expensive equipment would do better. I don't change the settings for the caliber and weight of the bullet as I really don't care; I want an accurate speed not the ft-lb calculation.
You need to have a fast SD card, a battery power source and think about getting a remote trigger. Buying all 3 prevents missed shots, having AA batteries die, and slow function. I also have the stand for it, though I've also used a tripod. Both are viable.

However, I now don't have to set up in front of my shooting table, I don't care if it's sunny, and my POI never shifts due to my chronograph. I also don't risk shooting the chrony. I also never doubt the readings I'm getting.
How far away are you placing this?

How far away are you placing this?
Once you get a remote trigger, anywhere you want.
Generally, it's immediately to the left of me on the bench.
If you do not have a remote trigger, the placement of the end of the barrel to the unit can make a difference in whether it triggers.

For my LabRadar system, I went with a remote trigger and a LiPo power brick.
No way would I run it with AA batteries, as you would be buying a new set for every trip to the range.
I need to spend some time with it trying to measure 17 caliber bullets, but that might be a bright sunny day with the CED , as the LabRadar maximum measured velocity is about 3900 fps.

Still have my old Caldwell almost 12 years old love to have a Lab Radar !

Back