New Hunters

jtoews80

Handloader
May 19, 2007
Here is something that we all get to do from time to time. Now for myself, I thought I had finished this duty when my youngest brother tagged out for the first time last year. Looks as tho there are few more friends this year that want to get into our great sport.

I've had the privilage of taking out 3 younger brothers to take their first WT deer, starting in 99 and finishing last year. I wouldn't trade those hunting trips with my family for anything.

This year I've got a father-in-law, sister-in-law, wife and another friend that all want to go this year for the first time :shock: :shock: 4 new hunters :shock: :shock: I'm getting the feeling that this year could be interesting.

I won't be taking them out all togather, that would be to dangerous. However, if I can get them out to the range and somewhat profecient at shooting paper it shouldn't be too difficult. I really should start scouting soon becasue it looks like most of the our huge Alberta hunting season(Nov. 1-Nov. 30) is booked full. Should be alot of fun, and hopefully I can train them properly.

What do you guys think the most important thing to teach new hunters is besides the obvious firearms safety and proper hunting ethics????

CC.

Knowing how to read a compass and wear proper clothing for the weather are my top two in importance.

Teach them, but don't over-instruct to the point of it not being fun. Patience will be needed, but will pay off as they develop more and more interest and enjoyment.

I usually take 1 new hunter with me on hunting trips in addition to the group of regulars. They learn a lot and have more fun as a group I think back at camp and it helps give them a break and see how others do it.

My boss shot his first buck and cow elk last year, same season. (2nd season hunting (don't always get one on the first, but it pays off). He just got orders to Tampa Fl in Sept, but he is looking forward to flying back in October. Guess you could say he's stoked.

My friend Tom is in the desert now. He hunted with us last year for the first time and is very excited to go back at it in the fall. Last summer I encouraged him to get through hunter safety and helped him pick out some gear to get ready. Midway through the season he was talking about buying an alaskan tent for this coming season. I'd say he was having a good time. (I need to help him figure out his GPS a little better pre-season this time around, but he'll get it figured out). I took him gun shopping last summer with the intent of finding a decent 270 or 30-06. Man what a deal he got! Mark X Interarms 30-06 w/ hinged floorplate and redfield base/rings out the door $200. It was on consignment in a normally overpriced gunshop. I just got done emailing him about if it's alright with him, I'd like to order a timney trigger for it and also an extension ring for his 3-9 leupold.

Taking a new hunter along is a lot of fun. Taking 4 sounds like a real challenge! No matter what, keep it fun and safe!

Forgot to add, that I loaded 180 accubonds for Tom's rifle and 140 TSX for my boss' 270 last year. They are both believers in reloading with both rifles shooting 1/2" to 3/4" 5 shot groups and both 1 shot heart shots on the deer and elk. I was there to witness the deer go down. The buck actually flipped 180 degrees from how it was facing when we found it, within a few feet of where it stood. How cool is that? The new guy Tom was with my boss when he shot the elk. I was with my dad at another spot at the time. I taught all the guys how to dress out the buck 2 days earlier by reaming around the bunghole and pulling everything out in one shot. Guess, what they worked as a team in my abscence and had it dressed and ready to hang when I got back to camp. I was impressed (as was my dad)!

You must've taught them well, to have it dressed by the time you got there!! Good stuff

CC

All of the above comments are good info. For me it's not about the trophy any more, it's about the hunt starting from write now.
The months, weeks then day's leading up to the hunt are what gets my motor going.

Respect the beast-No long range running shots-If you have wounded
game on the ground still alive dispatch it imediatly.

Respect the land-Keep atv's on the road-When packing up make your camp look like you were never there. Being from Colorado it used to make my blood boil when out of state hunters would leave thier bed matts, rolls of carpet and all thier garbage behind. Some CO idiots were
just as bad.

Be in the best shape possible-I also will be taking 2 new hunters this fall, these two guy's are as green as it gets. I plan on going back this July and take them for a long hike to let them know what to expect.

Safety-can't stress enough about this topic. I'm always on gaurd around any greeny with a loaded gun and sharp knife.

Quote from my Grandad "Never sharpen your knife before a kill, bad luck"
And he never did.

We all have our "most important" thoughts. These are mine:

1. It's about getting out into the wilds we all origionally came from and seeing the world as it really is without all the civilization. Smell the clean air, see a stream with fish and bugs and all the life that lives there.
2. Become the hunter that our instincts have been honed for. Challange the game animal on it's own turf with it having all the advantages.
3. Realize that to be successfull isn't a important as being there in the challange.
4. Enjoy friends and family in an up-front and personal way that is lost in everyday life.
5. Respect the gifts God has provided us with and don't waste it. Celebrate success but dont't get lost in it.

6. Be safe, have fun and learn something new about nature on every trip.

All the other things have already been mentioned. If your version of these 6 things are learned new hunters will be hooked forever.
Good Hunting
Elkhunt :grin:

Greg +++

I like to teach new hunters that it's about getting out and having some fun, and if we kill something, that a Bonus.

JT, two of your new hunters are Women. It's easier to sour women on hunting, so, it important to teach they guys how to keep them interested. Make sure they are warm, have good boots, and everyone respects the pace they are capable of. It might make for a less serious hunting attitude, but if the ladies come back the next year, it will be well worth it.

JT, congradulations on continuing the tradition. I so vividily remember the first time I got to whitetail hunt with my dad. We didn't shoot anything until our 5th trip out but the knowledge I gained, the patience he had, and seeing the wildlife around made that trip one to last a life time. Over the years I've been fortunate enough to hunt around the world and to pickup some great pointers and not so great pointers. Now that I have my son hunting with me and a couple of nephews in waiting it makes those moments from my past even more enjoyable. I learned one very invaluable lesson from a " rotten ol' rascal" PATIENCE. That has been an especially valuable lesson now that my fiance is learning to hunt. ( between you and me, its easier with the kids) Tradition in hunting, respect the law, respect the land, and give our fellow hunters the respect they deserve.

First thing it is always a pleasure to take a new hunter on there first hunt. It is up to you to make the first hunt memorable and ethical. Our sport is always in need of good PR.

IMO make sure that all cell phones are off or left in the truck. No talking about politics, work, religion, or wolves (nothing good ever comes out of these conversations). Field commonsense is another thing I would stress but, the most important thing is to respect nature and HAVE FUN.

Back