New Lightweight Savage Rifle

A .308 with a 20" barrel.

Handy, but may be a tad loud.

They are said to weigh about 5.5 lbs.

Sort of my thoughts. Can't say that I'm wild about the twenty-inch barrel.

I think the 7mm-08 would be a dandy

...well, if the balance point is as far back between the trigger & the magazine as it appears to be, it'll feel like a 9# rifle by the end of the day...

A 20" .308 isn't all that new or unusual. And not particularly obnoxious. The ol' Browning BLR has had a 20" barrel since the 1970's I think? Remington's Model 7 also has a 20" barrel for standard cartridges, as does their cool little 700 LTR...

Neat little rifle, the Savage - but I personally prefer a little more heft to my rifles - for marksmanship. Likely a fault of the shooter, not the rifle.

Regards, Guy

I've got 3 rifles with 20" or shorter tubes.. a Ruger with an 18" in 7-08, a Steyr .308 with a 19" and a Savage 7-08 with 20"....none of them are particularly bad. I still use ear protection on the range, but in the woods none of them are really any more obnoxious than other rifles.

I know lighweight rifles are all the rage right now...but I've come to believe there's a floor between 7-8 pounds scoped for the best mix of portable and shootable.

Below that and I have to really work hard to shoot well and after hauling up a hill or scrambling through some shale I just can't get one to settle down at all.

Just saw the wood/blued version yesterday , 308 what a sweet gun. I had to get out of there it wouldn't have taken much for me to walk out with that one. I'm just glad the Leupold display with the VX-3 2.5 x 8 wasn't close by , might have pushed me over the top.

Since they offer it in the 270 then the 280 AI would be a nice option as would the 260. How about the 338 Fed or 358 Win?

Hmm... Na.... You know what caliber I'm thinkin of... :) , that would make a great "walking Varmint rifle". 260 or a 30TC? would be OK too. CL

Nice. I like it quite a bit. Chambered in the Creedmoor too. I have 3 rifles with 20 inch barrels. 2 257 Roberts and one 30-06. The Roberts' aren't loud or obnoxious with muzzle blast. The 06 spits fire that you can see in bright daylight.

Back