New Medium bore....What to get??

Antelope_Sniper":1cn3qnlv said:
I've pushed the 225's over 3000, but my groups opened up. My rifle seems to like them around 2900. It's a great combo for all of NA and alot of Africa. BigBears got me thinking about the 180's. I figure I could break 3300 with them. It should be a fun load!!
..I tryed them last week(180"s) and I'm not a snyper by any means :( ...but still shot sub MOA at 100yds..with factory ammo at 3120 fps..Lou :wink:

Man, that sounds like a great shooting combo. I would think the 338 with those 180's would be a great shooter. A little lighter recoil and shoot pretty flat out to at least 400 yards. Sounds like you are set to lay some swat down on about anything. Scotty

Im going to try Scotty, I fly out mid october for moose, the good part is deer and bear are in season as well..Lou

Good luck. I wished I was flying out for anything right now, but I can live through you all. I bet your 338 is going to be a go to gun. That sounds like an excellent shooter you have. I would think moose are going to be very impressed by it. Post pictures if you can once you get one! Scotty

I'll do that Scotty..4 of our guys are heading up on the thursday, myself and partner are flying to thunderbay Ontario on the saturday and from there renting a 4x4 and drive around 2hrs..haven't been to the same camp in 15yrs..i can't wait..Lou

Sounds like a great trip you have planned. Plus a moose in the freezer is alot of good meat to last awhile. Scotty

For now I will be playing with the 200 AccuBond. Only bullet I could find in stock! sheesh!

POP":23ax7z31 said:
For now I will be playing with the 200 AccuBond. Only bullet I could find in stock! sheesh!

I know, even up here, the factory stuff (180gr ABonds from Federal) are on back-order..good thing i grabed 2 boxes when i did..Lou

Those are great bullets Pop. Real elk slayers.
If you try those loads I posted, just work up carefully on that H4350 load. It's a Max load.

That sounds like it would be an awesome load. 200gr'er out the tube over 3000FPS. That would rival the big 30 Cal Mags and have a little more thump once it gets there. Man, I love this sport, so many choices. Scotty

Very nice, all weather rifle.

I'm sure the 338 win mag will be a nice handling, yet hard hitting medium bore rifle.

Being a savage it has the ability to be whatever you want it to be within 5 minutes.... 264 win, 358 NM, any of the RCM's or 375 Ruger or wildcat versions of the Ruger.

JT.

That is correct! Not bad thinking!

:twisted:

Here is a rifle that would make a nice 358 NM.

I found a Husquvarna 1600 mauser rebarreled to 270 wby, it's only 24" tho. It comes with redding dies, 2 boxes of 2x brass and rings.

Somebody wants to trade me for my 375 ICL. I'd take the husky along with cash or a Ruger single six he's got for sale, but he doesn't like that idea much...... We'll see, I do have 225 300 grn Partitions with it, those are $78/bag here.

It would be a fun rifle, and then when I find a goose that lays golden eggs or something like that I can buy a 358 nm barrel for it :lol: :lol: :lol: Or just shoot the tube until it needs a change and then rebarrel.

The Ruger could be alot of fun too. If not, cash is always good too.

Or maybe just keep the ICL??

Good luck with the new Savage. Those darn things always shoot.
They will never be the pretty rifle that weatherby makes or the perfect slick action Sako has, but savages always shoot.

JT.

All right, about time and the man came to his senses. You will have a little more felt recoil from the Savage 338Win mag than with a Ruger. My friend's son that I hunt bear with got one two years ago and it rocked me a little more than my Ruger, but you want to talk about accuracy, it is one accurate rifle.

Good choice, you made me look for evidence of a new 338Win mag when you posted on my thread concerning the 358Win. I could not stand it so I did not wait for your response and went looking. Let me say it again, you made a good cartridge choice for medium bore. I am beginning to really be impress with my 338Win mag.

JD338 was so right when he said it is truly and easy cartridge to load for.

POP":15ecl9nb said:
Thanx Bullet!

You bet, and I want you to keep us abreast of your load work and it's results. You could save others of us some money and disappointment.

bullet,

Whats not to like about the 338 cals? :wink: I await your load development with the 210 gr PT. You are going to love it! :wink:

JD338

Yup that is what I am using also. 210 pt and 200 ab

Back