New Medium bore....What to get??

POP":3us3iia3 said:
I have the following in mind.

338 Win mag bolt

35 whelen (in a pump---for a change)

win 70 featherweight in 30-06 or maybe.... maybe (a far second 300 WSM)

and a far fourth very far that is a 375 H&H in a bolt

Decisions decisions decision.........

sAng_banghead2.gif

Yes, very good choices on the medium bores and not swept away by the new come alongs.

The 35 Whelen is really a pretty awesome round. You can push the 225's and 250's darn near 338 Win Mag speeds. Plus, it uses quite alot less powder than a 338. I have both the 338WM and 35 Whelen and they are both really awesome rounds. I don't think you can make a bad choice in either of those two. R15 is your friend in the 35 Whelen. It will do some pretty awesome things when loaded up. Scotty

Well, there is the 358 Norma Mag. If you do find one, it's usually in a semi custom, or sporterized mauser. As well, the guys that could afford the brass from Norma often built guns on par with the cost of such a round.

JT.

I don't know what your timetable is, POP, or your budget, but you could probably find a good 300WinMag or 7mmRemMag donor gun in a Model 70 or an old Parker Hale Mauser and make a really nice 358Norma...

As an aside, I have dreams of a matched pair of old Mauser actions in 308Norma and 358Norma. Nice wood, good bluing, they'd be beautiful.

Well I found a 300 WSM in a model 70 featherweight for 675.00 locally.

no 30-06's or 338 in stock.

Not too sure yet...but maybe. I figure it is very versatile super light does what an '06 does and more and it is svelte.

535109m.jpg

The legendary handling and quickness of the Model 70 Featherweight is justly famous among hunters everywhere. The Model 70 action offers Pre-’64 style Controlled Round Feeding, a three-position safety and is highlighted by a jeweled bolt body with knurled bolt handle. Inside is the M.O.A. Trigger System, the finest trigger ever offered in a bolt-action with zero take up, zero creep and zero overtravel. Like the original Featherweight, the angled comb Grade I walnut stock still features the Schnabel fore-end and satin finish with elegant cut checkering. A premium Pachmayr® Decelerator® pad helps soak up felt recoil. It’s available in the most popular long and short action calibers, including WSM chamberings.

300 WSM 24" barrel 7 lbs. 4 oz. MSRP: $839.00

I was at Gander Mountain today and they had a FWT in a 270WSM. If I didn't already have one M70 270WSM, it would have came home with me. It was a nice rifle and very well fitted. I would think that 300WSM would be more of a good thing and be able to be at least the 300 Win Mag, but more portable and easier handling. Scotty

My opinion of the 300 WSM is much the same as what you think of hunting with SMK's......

It isn't merited, the 300 WSM is a fine round, but I've had an aversion to it since it's inception. I never could figure out why I would pay 30-40% more for ammo that goes 100 FPS slower than the original 300 win mag.

I thought a 358 NM would be grand, but the cheapest you'll see the Sako Griffin & Howe's is in the $4000 range and the Husky's are still around 12-1400.

LOL, Now there is a fine candidate for an NCR caliber!!! A vaunted, unique round with exceptional hitting power and great effecientcy in a NCR, whooweee!!! How about that Nosler??????

I really like that idea. Maybe a few bullets suited for the 358 Norma with the new rifle too?? a 250 grain AccuBond or PT.

JT.

Update:

The 300 wsm was on my mind because my locals could not get any other featherweights,

After much (A LOT) of thought this is what I odered.

pix674113875.jpg

pix674113796.jpg

SAVAGE 116 FHSS IN 338 WIN MAG....GOT A STEAL ON IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good deal POP :) ...I got a new weatherby sporter(laminated stock) 338 WM in the box for 600 CDN...it was on sale for 800 and saved 200 8)

Pop,

You will have to give the 250 gr AB a try, BC of .575 makes it a long range hammer.

JD338

Pop, that is an awesome looking rifle. It is just like my Model 70 Stainless Synthetic! I bet that Savage will be an excellent shooter. Man, that thing is begging to get into the elk woods and lay some smack down. What kind of scope are you going to put on it? Man, great choice. Any ideas on what you are going to start loading for it.

JD, I wished I could have gotten the 250gr Accubonds instead of the 225's, but I bought 500 of the 225's and they are pretty awesome shooters, and they can be sped along pretty well too. I imagine I will get some in the future or maybe some 250gr Partitions to build a super big game load. Scotty

Scotty:
The 225's are a very good bullet for the 338 WM. It's a great bled of mass/velocity. 225br bullet at 2900 is pretty formidable.
250gr AB is hard to beat for hunting in the 338 RUM/Lapua.

Nice choice POP:
Not that you need any help reloading BUT here's my .338 Win Mag loads.
Rifle: Winchester model 70 Classic sporter 26" bbl

Winchester brass:
WMRP's

200gr ab/BT
78gr H4831: Just over 3000 fps
76gr H4350: 3150 fps

225gr AB
71gr H4350 2886 fps

All shoot 5/8 to 3/4.

Happy loading! :grin:

The main reason for my 338 is elk/bear so the 225's are more than plenty, and they have a great SD of .550 or so, really can't beat them. Right now I am pushing them at about 2850 with room for more, but with bow season here and other shooting to do, I am going to stick with that for this year and maybe do a little more once I get some more range time with the rifle. I can't think of anything that will survive a hit from one of those 225's at 2800+! Scotty

I've pushed the 225's over 3000, but my groups opened up. My rifle seems to like them around 2900. It's a great combo for all of NA and alot of Africa. BigBears got me thinking about the 180's. I figure I could break 3300 with them. It should be a fun load!!

It seems like I have room for more and Alliant shows data up to 76gr of R19 for a 225, so I think I could do it, but with hunting season upon us, I am calling it good enough for right now. Thanks for the tips though. I like the 338WM alot and hopefully I get some more time with it. Scotty

Back