New Medium bore....What to get??

FOTIS

Range Officer
Staff member
Oct 30, 2004
Well since I am selling my 350 rem Mag I decided to replace it with another medium bore. So far my big game battery consists of
RUGER #1 25-06
WBY ULTRA LIGHT 270 WBY
ACCUMARK 30-378
CLASSICMARK II 416 WBY
MARLIN 30-30
RUGER #1 458 LOTT---THIS ONE MIGHT BE GOING ALSO----NOT SURE

Anyway since they are all 26" barrel (except the Lott) and a bit unwieldy I am looking for something else for an all around short to medium range hammer. Thinking of a 338 Win Mag or a 375 H&H mag... not too sure.
What am I missing ? What would you get

Well, you could the stray away from the good ole calibers and look at the 338RCM, 338 Federal, 375 Ruger. Shorter barrels, and still pack plenty of wallop.

That's kind of the direction I was going in, Rich. A 375Ruger would be cool. Of course, if you want short, easy handling and nice looking, consider a CZ550 Full Stock in 9.3x62. I bet you've never loaded for one of those, have you POP? And that's a short list to be on...

Forget the new stuff and get a 338Win Mag or a 35 Whelen or at least a 358Win.

In looking over your present list and as you state, something from a 338 up to and including a 375 would be the way to go.

Imo, any 338 you get, will overlap duties with your 30-378 and your 416 Wby overlaps duties with the 458 Lott.

Since your dumping the 350 and maybe the Lott, that leaves quite a gap between the 30-378 and 416.

You mention that the 26" barrel is a bit unwieldly. So maybe a shorter, handier, but very powerful medium bore rifle is what your looking for?

Well! If you can set aside the emotion when it comes to "tradition" or "classic" or the "has been around for nearly 100 years" syndrome, the 375 Ruger chambered in the 20" Ruger Alaskan (co-incidentally mine), would be my choice to fill that gap you have. You can go with matte or the stainless!

You get a shorter OAL rifle, which is less unwieldly, is better handling, is very accurate right from the box, and will equal the performance and a little then some of the longer barreled 375 H&H from its shorter 20" barrel.

If you don`t prefer the Hogue stock, you can always swap it. If for some reason I get to the point where I dislike the Hogue at a later time, I`ll change it. Though up to this point, its fine.

To be honest and if I were setting aside my biased favoritism for the 375 Ruger, that rifle and cartridge would be my choice for you to fill that gap.

Your key words leading to the Alaskan choice were,,,,,,,"a bit unwieldly!" :wink: :wink:

Does everyone consider the 350's and 375's "medium bore"? Do you have to get into the rifles you can plug with a nickle before it is considered large? :shock: :p

POP -
I'm thinking a .308 in a Winchester Featherweight!! You will have a great shooting classic and help off-set some of that big-thunder you have.

I'd say 98 Mauser or CZ24 8mm mauser in an 18.5" sporter with a replacement stock that is lighter than the original and a scout mounted 1.5-5 leupold. If bigger than .323 is needed, a 9.3X62 or 35 Whalen AI. Just my thoughts and preferences. I really like Mauser actions and the 8mm is pretty potent when loaded to potential.

JT.

Just go 9.3x62. Its about unbeatable in the mid bores. It has it all, Performance, history, and lots of class. Its really hard to be a 286gr Nosler Partition @ 2400+fps. Doesn't kick bad but kills really well.

Its kind of like a 36 whelen improved :)

A 338-06 would be easy on the shoulder.
For an extra couple fps you could go 338-06AI.

257 Ackley said:
Does everyone consider the 350's and 375's "medium bore"? Do you have to get into the rifles you can plug with a nickle before it is considered large? :shock: :p

POP -
I'm thinking a .308 in a Winchester Featherweight!! You will have a great shooting classic and help off-set some of that big-thunder you have.[/quote

+1

Long

I'd be tempted to sell one or two more, then take the cash and go on a really cool hunt... :grin:

I agree on a 338 of some sort or maybe even 375, but really how many buffalo/elephant rifles does one REALLY need???

Nothing wrong with the good ol 338 WM w/225g AB at 2800fps. Kill elk and deer loooong ways off still. Dont cost an arm and leg for components either.

God dam bout choked on my lunch when I was flipping through the new cabelas shooting catalog today and noticed they wanted $90 for 100 pieces of Remington 300 RUM brass. Good thing I got 200 pieces for the 338 EDGE 2 years ago, should last the barrel... But still, thats just ridiculous...Haven't the metal prices went down or been down for a while?? Why are we still getting screwed??

pick a bullet, then buy a rifle that matches. A midbore to me is a 200yrd or less rifle, made for big animals. moose, elk, bear. big bullets at moderate velocity. 220 at 2700, 250 at 2600, 210 at 2800, 285 at 2600

I would vote for a 35 Whelen or 338 Win Mag. Easy to shoot and load for, great power for the majority of hunting. Plus, they are classic mid bore cartridges which perform really well, and they have a good selection of Noslers to experiment from. Scotty

POP I'm a bit shocked that you would consider a .338 cal. If I remember right you've posted in the past that your not a big fan of them.

That being said I have a 338 WM and a 375R, love them both but if I had to lose one it would be the 375R. My 338 has a 26" tube, but a guy can find them with 24" tubes as well. The 375 R will push a 260 AB about as fast as a 338 WM will push a 225AB.

Don't know if I would go with the RCM, the more I read about all these short mags and all the trouble I'm having getting my WSM to shoot, I would stick with something more conventional.

I would have to vote for a 338 WM. Or if you wanted something different I've always had a crush on a 358 STA, or 358 Norma.

Well, in Wyoming, thumper means one thing....Elk Gun.
.338 WM is a great elk killer, but it really shines with a 26" bbl.

Nosler chamber the Model 48 in 325 WSM. It weighs in under 7 pounds, but still has a 24" barrel. And a $2800 price tag. And that's before dies and brass, and it probably won't be here before hunting season.

Short handy elk killer in Wyoming for a guy that like to re-arrange his holdings from time to time....Might be time to try out one of the RCM's.

Between the RCM's I'd go with the .338. You already have the .416, and the .338 RCM doesn't really overlap with the Accumark. Accumark is a great plains rifle, but I sure don't want to be toting it into some of the deep dark timber in Area's 11. That area also opens up alot, so you also have to be ready for the 300-400 yard shot.

I figure you can load a 180gr BT around 2900-3000, or the 200gr AB 2800-2900. I'd imagine with either W748, or BLC-2 you could shoot the lights out. In any event, you could sure let the Elk know who's boss.

P.S. I'd still take the Accumark along. Glassing from the overlooks in the morning, trying to spot them before they head back into the timber, well if you do spot them, as if they are in range, it will be Accumark range.

Back