New Model 70

Hegland

Handloader
Jun 1, 2006
Since everyone else seems to be buying Rugers... :grin: :grin: :grin:

I picked up a new Featherweight last month. I went in after another -06 but all they had was a .270. Curiosity was killing me though, and the .270 got boxed up. 2009 model, so not quite as high-grade wood as last year's, but no silly etching on the floor plate either. Fit and finish are very good, action is epoxy bedded and the barrel floated, and once you get the wax covering out of the way, the trigger is a snap to adjust. I lightened the pull weight and as advertised, creep and over-travel are next to nothing.

I topped it with a VXII, loaded up some 130 solid base 2nds perched on top of 56.0 to 60.0 gr H4831 SC, and took it out last weekend. The worst groups were 2”, several were right around an inch, and some under. Considering the generic overall length, not being familiar with the rifle, and the 15-20 mph breeze, I am satisfied and then some. Next projects will be 130 & 140 ABs as well as RL22 and H4350.

Quite frankly, I was never very impressed with the New Haven rifles and the performance and value of the 700s got my vote and my money. I am not abandoning Big Green, but I am pleased with Winchester’s new effort. They put together a process obviously keen on quality and they did it at home. With Remington going after “improved price realization,” the M70’s counter price of under $700 puts them squarely in competition with the 700.

My only other experience with this caliber was a Vanguard that I have since sold. It would shoot, but I put a lot of work into it to get there. I can say without hesitation that this one is less finicky. I don't have a digital camera but will try to get the current roll of film developed and onto a CD to post pictures.

Have a good weekend all.

Will be interesting to see your range report, I am looking forward to it and I hope it is a good one.

Hegland

Congratulations on the M70 270 Win, the American Classic. 8)
H4831 is indeed a great powder and 60.0 grs is where it is. Try adjusting your seating depth to shrink your groups. You should have plenty of roon in the magazine to load them "long" and get to .015-,020" off the lands.

RL 22 is also an excellent powder for the 270 Win.
Keep up posted with your range results.

JD338

I bought a model 70 featherweight in 30-06 several years ago and bedded the action only first, shot fair. Then I went full length of the barrel with the previous action work left in place, this was the hot ticket for my rifle. It shoots everything under an inch and never, ever changes. I just wish I had a spare stock to hunt with as the wood is too pretty to ding up!

150 BT 59.5 WW 760
165 AB 58 gr IMR 4350
180 Hornady Flat base 62 gr RL22

Also have a 270 model 700 that shoots great with 140 BT's 60 gr 7828SSC. These all touch at 100 yds and chrono 2940 in a 22 inch barrel.
It would be great to have a new rifle like yours that shoots as good as mine! Love those featherweights!

I saw a 30-06 in Sportsman's warehouse. Sticker price 719.00 Very nice looking gun.

Nice report. glad you like it so far.

Personally though there wasn't a thing wrong with the New Haven's . Now was some things they could have done better with here and there. I have looked at the SC's and yes they are nice but I don't see nothing to go through hoops for yet. JMO

I am quite impressed by the new FN model 70s.
I liked the New Haven guns too but the new trigger is an improovment ( the old one was good too) and the new bottom metel is a vast improvment.
Notice ruger made the same moves.
I am looking forward to seeing a featherweight in a short action round like the .308 7mm08 or the .243.
Congrats on a nice new rifle.
Keep those cards & letters comming...tj3006

I have a lone Model 70 in my safe but it's a good one. It's the discontinued Laredo LRH chambered for 300 Win Mag. The rifle is heavy, about 12.5 lbs, but the weight never bothers me since it helps dampens the recoil of the big 30. The rifle is very accurate using the Hornady 180 grain BTSP and 81 grain of H-1000.

Here's the first 10 shot from the barrel

Picture009.jpg

A typical groups for this rifle

Picture097-1.jpg

Picture094-1.jpg

I have a 2008 featherweight Delux in 270 Win with a Unertl 4x Hawk scope

My Favorite loads are

140gr AccuBond H4831SC @ 58.5
150gr Bat Silver Tip @ 58.0
130gr Bat Silver Tip @ 60.0

Fed 210M Primer
WW Nickle Cases

I have the all weather 270 rifle on order and hoping it shows up any time. There are some rumors that they have shipped some 06? I have not seen them yet. But every one seems to like them that have bought the new FW so far.

I would really like a New Model 70 in 30-06 is a FWT or standard sporter. I really like the Model 70's and they have always been the most solid rifles I own. I like the Remington's, Savages, WBY's and others, but the Model 70 is still my favorite. Scotty

Mine are all New Haven rifles but I absolutely love the three Winchester Model 70's I have.

I have a .270 (my son's actually) and .30-06 in the 22" Featherweight version and a .338 WM in the full size stainless steel version. All three are the "classic" versions with the CRF bolts.

The .270 is a 1" or less shooter with just about everything, my .30-06 is a 1-1.5" shooter, and my .338 WM is a .75 to 1.25" shooter.

I have a Post 64 Model 70 7mm Rem Mag, a Model 70 Classic pre 64 270WSM, a Model 70 Classic Stainless BOSS in 338 Win Mag. They are all excellent shooters and I would like to add the 30-06 in a FWT or Standard to the collection. Seems like the 30-06 and Model 70 go hand in hand. They might not always be the most accurate, but they sure shoot for me. Scotty

Man I am liking this gun, I loaded up some 140 grain AccuBond and some Hornady interlock 130 grain. I had less than inch in both on the first trip to the range. The trigger is excellent, no play crisp and the bolt is like glass and smooth. The stock is a little clunky compared to my Classic FW but it is ok so far I am very happy. I think the all weather rifle is slightly lighter than the FW. The FW it is topped with a VX III 2x8 and the 270 has a heavier scope a 3x9 VxII so I think I can make it a bit lighter. I don't have any way to weight them.

Sounds like a great shooter. You'll have to show us some pictures when you get a chance. Scotty

Hegland,

It is true that I have bought a couple of Rugers, and they are great rifles, but I have a safe full of Winchester Featherweights. I have picked up two of the new Model 70s--one in .30-06 and one in .270 WSM. They are beautiful rifles. The fit and finish are excellent. The trigger on each is crisp, breaking cleanly. The wood is better than we should ever anticipate on a factory gun. Winchester has redeemed themselves in my eyes.

I would really like a Winchester Model 70 FWT or Sporter in 30-06. I have always wanted one. I saw a 270 FWT at Gander Mountain a few weeks back and it seemed to be a really well built rifle and had good fit and finish for a factory made rifle. Scotty

Back