New Nosler .224 cal 64 gr Bonded Solid Base

JD338

Range Officer
Staff member
Nov 4, 2004
I tested the new Nosler 64 gr Bonded Soft Point bullet in my M700 VLS 22-250.
MV was 3372 fps with sub MOA accuracy. Shoots great in the 1:14 twist!

I also shot one into water jugs at 30 yds. The bullet was recovered in the 5th jug!
IMG_06691.jpg

Impressive little bullet.

JD338

That is impressive Jim. Who makes it? It sure would flatten a deer or two with that kind of performance! Nice accuracy also. Did that surprise you at all with the 1:14 twist? Nice job.
David

Very nice Jim, are you going to smack a deer with them or maybe use it as a fur friendly coyote bullet?

Good information, Jim. Thanks for posting. I've been working with a 22-250 AI that has given me fits. This might be an answer to the problem.

Thanks Jim!
That is one tough little pill. I have a few bags myself and can't wait to try them in my AR and the 22-250.

Scott

The recovered weight was 50.2 grs (72%) and expanded to .481".
Recovered in the 5th jug! I think I need to give this bullet a try to fill some crop damage deer tags in Aug.

JD338

JD338":di91cdek said:
The recovered weight was 50.2 grs (72%) and expanded to .481".
Recovered in the 5th jug! I think I need to give this bullet a try to fill some crop damage deer tags in Aug.

JD338

That is very good performance ! I will try them in my varmiter also !

Cheers RJ :)

That would kill antegoats everyday of the week and twice on Sunday!
If it were legal in Wyoming that is. :!:

I must admit to being impressed, and a little surprised, that the 1:14 twist handled the 64 gr bullet so well. This has not been my experience with the .22-250 and longer bullets - even if they're not as heavy as that 64 grainer.

Impressive! :grin:

Guy Miner":4udvse17 said:
I must admit to being impressed, and a little surprised, that the 1:14 twist handled the 64 gr bullet so well. This has not been my experience with the .22-250 and longer bullets - even if they're not as heavy as that 64 grainer.

I agree; it would not stabalize in my 14 twist 22-250 unless it is a lot shorter than the 60 grain Partition. I have tried the 60 PT and it did not shoot well at all. I would love some of these to try in my .223 with a 9 twist though. It should make a great pig bullet in an AR platform.

Guy Miner":2kqmbpdi said:

Guy,

The OAL is .787", compared to the 50 gr BT at .800" and the 55 gr BT at .810". The shorter length allows it to stabilize in a 1:14 twist.

JD338

FOTIS":13okgrjg said:
Fotis, you are serious? :cry: They won't let you shoot antelope with a 22-250? :eek: Does Wyoming have a .243 minimum? That's too bad as I have seen several, probably 5 over the years shot with one. Pretty impressive what they did on them. I remember one antelope this buddy of my dads shot on the run and made a really lucky shot and dropped this antelope. By the time we went the 300 yards or so to where it lay, it was stiffened up like it had been laying there a week! The shock to the system on that animal must have been really powerful. I have never seen an animal like that before or since.

6mm Remington":1l4982vm said:
FOTIS":1l4982vm said:
Fotis, you are serious? :cry: They won't let you shoot antelope with a 22-250? :eek: Does Wyoming have a .243 minimum? That's too bad as I have seen several, probably 5 over the years shot with one. Pretty impressive what they did on them. I remember one antelope this buddy of my dads shot on the run and made a really lucky shot and dropped this antelope. By the time we went the 300 yards or so to where it lay, it was stiffened up like it had been laying there a week! The shock to the system on that animal must have been really powerful. I have never seen an animal like that before or since.

Would you believe they have a 23 caliber minimum?????????????????

Wyoming statutes authorize the use of a firearm that has a barrel
bore diameter of at least twenty-three-hundredths (23/100) of an inch and
is chambered to fire a center-fire cartridge not less than two (2) inches in
overall length, including a soft or expanding point bullet seated to a normal
depth or a muzzle-loading rifle that has a barrel bore diameter of at least
40/100 of an inch and a charge of at least fifty (50) grains of black powder
or equivalent or a muzzle-loading specialty single shot handgun that has a
barrel length of not less than ten (10) inches, a bore diameter of at least
45/100 of an inch and that propels a projectile of two hundred forty (240)
grains at not less than five hundred (500) foot pounds at one hundred (100) yards.
In addition, the Commission authorizes any other cartridge
fired from a firearm that has a barrel bore diameter of at least thirty-five
hundredths (35/100) of an inch and the cartridge generally delivers at
least five hundred (500) pounds of impact at one hundred (100) yards and
cartridges used are loaded with a lead, soft or expanding bullet point. Wild
Bison shall only be taken with a firearm that has a barrel bore diameter of
at least twenty-seven hundredths (27/100) of an inch and is chambered
to fire a center-fire cartridge not less than two (2) inches in overall length,
including a soft or expanding point bullet seated to a normal depth. The
cartridge shall have a minimum of a one hundred fifty (150) grain bullet.
Wild Bison may also be taken by the use of muzzle-loading rifles
having a barrel bore diameter of at least 50/100 of an inch and a charge
of at least one hundred (100) grains of black powder or equivalent.
Muzzle-loading rifles may be used to take Wild Bison only on lands off the
National Elk Refuge.

I assume a 100yrd impact on the water jugs? Very nice looking results. I have 50 sitting on my bench next to 50 223 cases and 50 22-250 cases. I have not been able to decide which

Back