New Old Stock Brass History Lesson Wanted

gbflyer

Handloader
Mar 28, 2017
I was extremely fortunate and the stars aligned and ended up with several boxes of NOS Winchester brass for my H&H. The gent who I got it from was helping with an estate and bent over backwards to get it to me. There truly are so many good people left in this world.

I was wondering if anyone could help me with identifying how old this stuff is. The carriers inside are cardboard, not foam. Boxes aren’t really even faded. I’m guessing 1970’s but I really have no idea. It is incredible to me how these things survived this long. Must be some kind of a story.

5b6527443431dc0187167995bd7ee8bb.jpg

I don't think those are as old as you think. I can't put a finger on a date but I moved to Tucson in August of 1979 and in 1980 bought a Ruger M77 in 7x57. t the same time I bought out all the 7x57 Winchester brass they had on hand in those yellow boxes so they were still on dealers shelves in at least 1980. Not very scientific but the best I can do.
Paul B.

Thats a cool resource! Man- Ive got some old brass sitting around.... :shock: :lol: Thanks CL

The one box in the middle was what I have from the 1970’s. For what it’s worth the Winchester 180gr load was close to MOA in My pre 64 Model 70 but the 150gr of the same vintage was over 2MOA.

The one box in the middle was what I have from the 1970’s. For what it’s worth the Winchester 180gr load was close to MOA in My pre 64 Model 70 but the 150gr of the same vintage was over 2MOA.

Unprimed boxes from 1973 even though they changed boxes. From the reading they used up all the boxes first but the lot numbers were correct for date. The primed from 1969. I also have a almost full box of 180gr bullets, same style box, lot number puts them 1963. Finally I have some Winchester primers from the 1980’s and some of the old pull down 4831 that put Bruce Hodgdon on the map that’s probably WW2. Kinda sappy but I’m gonna load up some retro ammo and see what it does out of a modern barrel.

Back