new problem..

metallica,

Many years ago I worked on a similar thing. My initial confusion led me to believe that I was possibly using too slow of a powder. However, this powder was listed in the top five in several manuals. I did however look into using something a bit quicker. At the time I was using some H-870 and the loads were for 165 and 180gr bullets. Both shot and both grouped but not like they should have from this particular rifle. I picked up some H-1000, and a new jug of H-4831. Loaded of 10 each powder with the charges being the same. Not looking to blow the barn over at that point. Found that they would each shoot drcent groups better than the 870 produced anyway. I worked up to top end loads for them both and they simply got to a point of about 1.75 - 2.5" and that was it no matter what else was adjusted. All of these groups were shot at 200ds. Then I decided to take a walk on the wildsiade and swapped out the primer I had been using, the Fed 215. I dropped the loads down 2grs from where I had left off and went to work using some WIN-WLR Standard primers.

First loads were with a new batch of ten cases, 5 for each weight bullet. Th gun was cleaned and the cases wre prepped by trimming after sizing, had the flash holes done, but were not weighed. I started with about three grains below the max charge of H-4831, and the 150gr bullet. The first round hit higher than I expected and I figured it wa either me or the rifle slid funny on the bag. Without any scope adjustments I put the second shot into the edge of the first hole. The end result was all 5 in an inch group.

The 165's I was shooting hit almost dead on horizontally but were about 2" left of anything else I had shot at that target. Basically the same size group.

After cleaning and sizing the cases, I loaded them up using the H-1000, I got almost as good of groups uysing it as I did with the H-4831, however I could not get velocity up using the standard primer. I switched to a fed215M and things got right realy quick. These loads not only produced the best groups for me but also gave the best consistant velocities.

As this was a friends rifle and he also loaded I passed along all my notes to him. He was able to duplicate the load and used it for several years before trading the stuff off on one of the RUM's when they came out in Sendero. I have since lost contact with him but would wager that if you gave the 6 cases your having issues with a toss in the recycle can and tried a differetn powder or two you might be well surprised.

Back