New Rest

Alderman

Handloader
Apr 5, 2014
The FedEx man dropped off a Caldwell Fire Control full length rest yesterday. I made it to the bench this afternoon for a quick tryout.
084bf2ee9ac05770c057a6d73d2d00a7.jpg

The following are a couple of pics I've posted previously showing results from a front rest and rear bag.
567a046f013a641ad220ccd0d9320848.jpg

af462db539ffaf6fdbbf17094203deb3.jpg

The following is the results from today.
07de93b48d4c15919fd74363a2123411.jpg

I shot the upper three first - 165 Sierra SPBT
I then shot the bottom three (180 AccuBond) with the first two together and the third flying to the left. Shot felt good when it left so may be ammo, warm barrel, or shooter.

First impressions:
This is an entry level rest of this type so I wasn't expecting perfection.

The height is a 'tweener for me, my father built the shooting bench years ago and at 6'4" it has always been too low for me. I built a riser to place the bags and rest on and this has worked for me but it could be better.

The fire control rest feels too low on the bench and too high on the riser but may just be because it is different than what I am used to.

The movement of the fire control isn't the smoothest but isn't really difficult to get it lined up and feels solid once locked into position.
I've read where some lube will smooth it out some. As is, while not perfect, it is a step up from bags when trying to get locked into position.

The rest has a rifle stop on the front to allow returning to the same position but the length of the rest isn't adjustable, therefore I ended up pulling the rifle to the rear to allow a good contact with my shoulder, making the rifle stop non useable. Would be a big plus if the length on the rest was adjustable.

The rear v rifle rest is lined with a hard plastic which does work but I might have the wife do some magic in her sewing room to make a padded piece to insert in the v. It can't be too thick as the angle of the v is not very wide.

All in all, if this thing holds up, it will be an improvement at the bench because it makes it easier to acquire and maintain a good aiming point on the target.

They don't give these things away so I have been hesitant to pull the trigger on a purchase but found one on eBay and a bid quite a bit below retail got it delivered so I thought it was worth a go.
Time will tell, but first impressions, while not perfect, are toward this being an improvement over what I was using previously.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good report let us know how you like it as you shoot some more.
I've got a number of different shooting bags and a crank up front rest.
I keep coming back to my older but little bit heavier Duty LED sled that I shoot without any weights on it.
I shoot it on a pretty smooth top bench that allows it to slide back somewhat and I get some pretty good groups...... but I know the real expert Shooters will say that's kind of a hog wash system. I don't get out shooting nearly as much as I used to and I need something that takes the idiot out of it but someday I should figure out the right way to do it!

Back