New rifle advice

smirak

Beginner
Jan 8, 2009
So, with MS changing thier primitive weapon season a few years back, I want to get something to hunt the last ten days of the season this year (starts on Jan 22) as well as for seasons to come. The law states this "...single shot, breech loading, cartridge rifles (.38 caliber or larger) of a kind and type manufactured prior to 1900..."

The most popular one here in MS is the 45-70 Govt. While that is a nice rifle, I am looking for something different. I know there is a 444 and a 500, but not sure of what else is out there. I would use this rifle in a wooded area that has the farthest shot of about 150 yds.

HandR makes many nice calibers, .243, .270, etc...I am looking for something not so "mainstream".

Thanks,
Kevin

Welcome to the Forum!
I have thought about coming down to Mississippi to enjoy your primitive weapon season. I have a 54 cal Sharpe's percussion that I would love to use. I could use it here in TN during regular rifle season, I just haven't gotten around to it yet.
Check out some of the Sharpe's reproductions.
Gettin all "Quigley" on a deer has got to be something to talk about! :twisted:
JDMAG

I thought ya'll could use .35 and larger. Have heard several people using the .35 whelen in an Encore platform. That would be my choice also since I already own to Encores.

You could get a custom 26" barrel from Match Grade Machine for about $375 and that would be the cats meow out to 300 yards. :grin:

Not .35...According to the MDWFP site, it's .38 and larger. A 35 Whelen would be great though

I've never asked at a gun shop, but always seen the TC Encore barrels for sale, but never priced not just the barrel. How much doe the Encore's run?

Thanks,
Kevin

in the words of Homer Simpson :shock: ohhhhooooouuuuuuuuuggghhhhh
slobberslobberslobber

You can get into an Encore Rifel in 45-70 for about $550. Here is one at Buds....

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/manufacturers_id/37/products_id/17443

You can get just the frame frame for $349....

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/manufacturers_id/37/products_id/33745

From there you can get a custom barrel for $375 from Match Grade Machine in any caliber that is safe for the Encore platform that will fit your needs, i.e.,...
.405winchester, 45-70, 40-65wcf, 416Ruger, 416Rigby, etc... etc... :lol:

Thompson Center also sales barrels of many calibers also, especially if you go through their custom shop.

they changed the rules again for primitive weapon season. It was anything larger than 38 caliber and a pre 1890 model. Now (2008-2009) you have to have a single shot rifle with an exposed hammer .35 caliber or larger. hence a enore 35 whelen is now legal

Bose":3nbij3xk said:
they changed the rules again for primitive weapon season. It was anything larger than 38 caliber and a pre 1890 model. Now (2008-2009) you have to have a single shot rifle with an exposed hammer .35 caliber or larger. hence a enore 35 whelen is now legal

Yeah, that's what I found out yesterday...too bad the only thing I can find around the Jackson area is a 45-70 govt. I don't mind that cal, but I wanted something different.

Kevin

You can also get a .38-55 in the Handi-Rifle. In that chamber it will have I believe a 28" barrel, steel butt and aperture sights. It's really a good looking rifle.

smirak":18rpcd52 said:
Bose":18rpcd52 said:

Yeah, that's what I found out yesterday...too bad the only thing I can find around the Jackson area is a 45-70 govt. I don't mind that cal, but I wanted something different.

Kevin

Not trying to sell you anything but http://www.matchgrademachine.com/ They have some .35 barrels ready to ship, a 25" .358win and a 18" .35remmag for the Encore. They will also make any barrel you want. That is the reason I went to the Encore six years ago. Any caliber you want and/or dream up :lol:

The 38 is actual .357" so as far as bore size goes the 35 is .358".
I do not know how the law is worded so be carfull the 35whelen is from the 1920's the actual 30-06 case is 1903.

Any strait walled case should be OK but the new 444 might not. 38-55 and 45-70 with modern powders seem just great.

.35 caliber or bigger, how about a .356 Win, .375 Win, or .405 Win? Really would love to get my hands on a .375 Win! Finally got my .358 in a Savage 99, just need the M94 in .375 to be happy. Too bad they will not allow a .32 Win Special would be fun to play with that one as well.

Easy reference with Bud's that is all. I have used Ed myself when building a .480ruger the other year :grin:

smirak

The 35 Whelen is a hammer on WT deer. Another option is 375 Win.
Bud's Gun Shop has good pricing and they are easy to work with.

JD338

Back