New rifle, bolt hard to close

badland

Beginner
Dec 9, 2005
I just bought a Tikka t3 lite 22-250. Went out to shoot it the other day and tried some reloads I had, shot loads I had loaded up with 50 gr Nosler bts and 40 gr V-max(loads I have the COL between 2.35 & 2.38) all worked great and then I tried some Sierra 55 gr spitzers(COL at 2.35) and the bolt was very hard to close, I never did even shoot them. Today now I did the empty case and bullet load with these same rounds using both Sierra and Speer spitzers and have seated them all the way down to 2.26 and still the bolt is hard to close, the marked bullets have scratches STILL way up on the bullet. I don't know how far I can keep seating the bullt to make the bolt easy but this can't be good? I am I just over looking some thing here or what? Something up with the gun or am I just not going to be able to shoot these bullets? Thanks

Try some factory. If they work then the rifle is just fine. If you're going to reload once fired brass that were fired in another gun then FULL LENGTH RESIZE ONLY. 8)

Pop, thanks for the info, what was I thinking. Kept thinking it was the bullets. dah! Never had just a neck resizer, but bought one today, Not going to try an use full full lengh and adjust. Thanks again

POP":ghsdmwm8 said:
Try some factory. If they work then the rifle is just fine. If you're going to reload once fired brass that were fired in another gun then FULL LENGTH RESIZE ONLY. 8)

+1
If the cases were full length resized, you may have bumped the shoulder back and created a bulge on the shoulder.
Were the cases trimmed?

JD338

I check and trim all my cases when I load. I haven't shot the cases that much but I have been full lengh resizing every load, but as I stated earliar I bought a neck resizer. Thanks

I am not all that knowledgeable about reloading but have recently had a similar problem. In the end, setting my die just a little further solved the problem (about an 1/8 of a turn). I too was shooting brass that had been fired in another chamber previously and full lenght re-sizing and trimming were not enough. Check out my other post on this page for some advice from other posters. It worked for me.

I like the idea about try factory loads first though. good luck. CL

see page 2 of the thread below- another guy with a tikka....

http://noslerreloading.com/phpbb2/viewt ... sc&start=0

Set the neck of the case back a tad and you will be fine!

Adjust your sizer die down 1/8 turn and check your brass for chambering.....until it chambers smooth.

dito dito dito.....like others have said before me!

Steelhead: I did not ask the question what every one thought of Tikka guns! They are a good firearm. WHAT MY PROBLEM WAS HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH THE GUN, regardless of what you think, own or likel I BELIEVE THIS SITE IS WAY TO GOOD FOR COMMENTS LIKE THIS.

Gee, huffy! I meant to put a ? mark instead of a period after my post. Was surprised you were having a problem.

Have A NICE DAY and CHILL

Steellhead, sorry if I came off wrong but I thought it was a slam on Tikks's and the post. Just got done reading some posts on another (Hunting & Fishing)site and that site has gotten way out of hand with all the bad posts. That used to be a good site but now its who can find fault with anything and everything people have to say there. Again my apology!

I have the highest respect for Tikkas

like Sakos and Savages.

One man's trash is another man's treasure!

Back