new scope

700 bdl

Beginner
Dec 12, 2004
I'm thinking of buying a leupold 3.5X10X40 vari-X111. What other scopes out there are in this class?

I think you can never go "wrong" with a Leupold Vari-X III. Proven performance, reliability and cusotomer service.

That being said, I like the clarity of the Nikon Monarch 3-9x40 for less money in the same class.

The newer version of the VXIII 3.5-10 is the best scope made in my opinion.

Check out the specs on it, higher light transmission and all the bells and whistles.

One downfall of other brands is the customer service aspect, always keep that in mind.

700bdl,

Read the posts above carefully. The old model was the VariX-111 and the new one is the VX111. Some retailers have the old ones and they should cost less. If your spending that much you should get the latest one.

Another thing is that everyone here who sees the Zeiss Conquest says the optics are superior to any Leupold. However the Conquest scopes are heavier and bigger.

For the smaller scopes, which I prefer for woods hunting, I still like Leupold. For bigger scopes I am buying Zeiss Conquest. You can get a 3-9 Conquest on the net for about $400.

I shoot the Bushnell 4200, the Zeiss conquest and the Kahles with tds reticule. Price range from $400.00 to $650.00. I think the Conquest is the clearest. Never had to send a scope in for service in my life so don't know about customer service.

Long

Clarity is somewhat over-rated. Reliability is the absolute most important factor with scopes. I know the Vari-X III line is a proven performer. I assume the VX-III is going to be reliable based on bloodlines. If a person can get a good deal on a "Vari" because the "VX" is newer, I think you are getting a good deal on a proven performer and should not pass it up.

I certainly can appreciate clarity and light transmission in optics. I wear Zeiss around my neck and use Zeiss or Leica for spotting scopes. I spend hours looking through my binoculars and know the issues with eye strain all to well. I spend substantially more time looking through my rifle scope while doing load development than while hunting.

If I rank what is important to me in a scope it goes like this:
1. Reliability
2. Reliability
3. Repeatability
4. Weight
5. Light Transmission
6. Customer Service
7. Clarity
8. Price

I own, have owned or have in my possession Bushnell, Burris, Nikon, Swarovski, Zeiss and Leupold.
When guiding I like to see a gold ring on a clients scope - I feel I have a better chance that it will maintain zero during the hunt.

Clarity is extremely important to me, for obvious reasons. Over the years, I've owned most or at least many different brands. The past several years I reduced the brands to Zeiss, Kahles and Nikons. Other good ones out there. These are just the ones that I consider the best for me.

700 bdl":1al14qdu said:
I'm thinking of buying a leupold 3.5X10X40 vari-X111. What other scopes out there are in this class?

700bdl,

Close to would be VXIII 2.5x8 and VXIII 4.5x14, both from Leupold.

Regards,

JD338

What is the difference between the VX-III and VX-II other than cost? I'm sure the VX-III must be a better scope, but they both have the same lens coating, and from what I see in the specs comparison, they are very similar. My wife has ordered me a VX-II in the 3-9X-50mm for my birthday. The price variance between it and the VX-III in the same set-up is $200. I told her to order the cheaper version. Did I make a mistake? I never see the VX-II mentioned much. Is the VX-III worth the extra $200?

Blaine,

The difference between the VXII and VXIII is the quality of the glass and the anti-reflective coatings. The new VXIII scopes are indexed matched which woould make them even better than b4. I once made a comparison out back in my woods with a VXII 3x9x40 and a VXIII 2.5X8x36. Looking into the shadows, side by side on the same power setting, the VXIII won. Several months later during the winter months, my buddy was over and looking to set up a 280 Rem for Caribou. With snow on the ground and sunshine, we set up the same comparison. I was really surprised that you could still see the diference between the VXII and VXIII.
Going to a 50MM Obj lense on a VXII will help some, but you would be farther ahead to go with a 40MM VXIII. They are that much brighter!

Having said that, how does your wife feel about you changing your mind?
We have to keep top management happy. :wink:

Regards,

JD338

The additional brightness in the 50 over the 40mm objective will only be apparent at the high end of the magnification. Once the exit pupil is larger than the eye's entrance pupil (~5mm if you're over 40 years old, ~7mm if you're <20 for most folks), you are no longer using the entire aperture anyway. Better coatings/lenses on a 40mm will be brighter than a lesser quality 50mm.

Andy

I made the mistake of buying a new Leu VX3 2.5-8 last year. It's a second rate scope or maybe third rate like the other Leu's.

The Leu VX2's cost a lot less and I have them too and they are about the same as the VX3.

The news is that Zeiss has announced smaller Conquests. This is what we have all been waiting for. See 24hourcampfire.com in optics for the topic.

Mistake buying a VX3?? Am I missing somethign here? The vx3's are superior to the vx2's for one obvious reason, the coating on the scope. The vx3's will be much brighter at dusk/dawn levels of light. 50mm objectives are only an advantage in low light situations as well. I have several vx2's and 1 vx3, and 1 MK4, the more the scope costs, the better the scope gets. There is nothing wrong with the vx2's buy any means, but the vx3's are still vastly superior.

I stand by my opinion that to my eyes the Leupold VX3 scopes are inferior to other brands like the Conquest. However if you don't mind a reticule that turns brown in light the Leu. VX2 line is ok.

I am waiting for my first new 2.5-8 Zeiss this summer.

I own or have owned Leupold, Bushnell, Burris, Zeiss and others. Right now my serious hunting rigs wear Zeiss Conquests, they are the best optic wise that I am willing to shell out for. In 4 years of owning Zeiss and subjecting them to harsh conditions of Canada I haven't had one hick up along the way. Same can be said for my elite bushnells and varix III's but the nod goes to the Zeiss b/c of optical performance, etched reticle and constant eye relief.

Zeiss is definitely nice :p !!!!!!

NOSLER":3vbcag46 said:
The newer version of the VXIII 3.5-10 is the best scope made in my opinion.

Check out the specs on it, higher light transmission and all the bells and whistles.

One downfall of other brands is the customer service aspect, always keep that in mind.

I agree! The VX3 are better. I just got one in 4.5x14x40mm 30mm Long range. Simply AWESOME!

Is cost the issue? 7 of my 9 most used guns have Leupolds on them ! Awesome units, and have only had one failure over the years, I'm not complaining. I was also looking at a cost issue a year and a half ago, and made a trip to Cabela's. The Alaskan model scope at this point in my opinion is great for the money. ( may change my mind if there is a reliabliity issue down the road, but to this point I've bought another) May be worth taking a look at.??

700bdl, I have the exact scope you mention and highly recommend it. You really can't go wrong with a Leupold and the one you mention is one of the best and most versitle. Mine is on a 30-06 that has been hauled all over the country and it has never let me down.

I was on ebay checking out scopes when I noticed a scope by http://www.usoptics.com made in Buena Park,CA for snipers and hunters very interesting scopes with prices to match.Far beyond my budget I've been purchasing 3x9x40 Leupold Vari X llc scopes with the CPC reticles on ebay to compliment the others I've owned for 20 to 30 years also have Bushnell, Bausch & Lomb & Sightron plus some red dot scopes.

This is why Leupold are the best in the business!

"One of the keys to the exceptional durability of Leupold scopes is strength combined with lightness".

"Scopes also have to withstand an impact tester which in 24 hours subjects a scope to 5000 violent blows,each matching the force of a .375H&H Magnum"

"Immersing their VX Series scopes in a tank full of water heated to 120 degrees fahrenheit reveals any spot which is not airtight".

"Leupold scopes are built to exactly the same tolerances and standard of durability.
A Rifleman scope will take as much recoil as a VX-III".

"In 1962 Leupold invented and introduced the Duplex reticle. Virtually every other scope manufacturer has copied this basic style of reticle."

"They pioneered the sealing and waterproofing technology that has become an industry standard in today's riflescopes".

Leupold Full Lifetime Guarantee.(Cream on the cake)

Saying that I also own a Swarovski(30mm) & Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40.
All three are quality scopes but if I had only one choice it will always be Leupold.

:grin:

Back