New to AR's question

hunter24605

Handloader
Apr 30, 2016
So I'm kicking around the idea of purchasing my first AR to have something different to play with..In all my years I've never really had in interest in AR's, AK's, etc, so I never read much about them...Anyway, looking at the tons of variances available, I keep seeing the term "Mil-Std A3 Upper" Could someone explain in general terms what this means, and what it ads/detracts as to the functionality of the rifle...It seems the ones that have a MIl-STD A3 upper are 223 Rem And 5.56 NATO together rather than just 223Rem..Although I think I prefer regular old 223 Rem.
Thanks in advance and I'm sure I'll have more questions the further I get into this process....

I wouldn't bother with anything chambered in 5.56. Generally most ammo available and brass if youre a reloader are going to be 223. Mil standard is just basic firearms minimum the military requires. As a military member ehose fired the basic, order the gun the waynyou want it. Mil std or mil spec is just fancy words in my eyes. If you buy that but want a different rail or foregrips, you're just spending extra. Pay for what you want the first time and your wallet will thank you.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

I do find quite a bit of 5.56...some American Eagle is. What kind of budget? Generally you get what you pay for.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OK, I'm looking to plunk down about $800 at very top of the budget. I just want something to introduce me to them and to play with.

An A3 has a removable carry handle, allowing for mounting an optic.
Mill Spec should indicate a degree of reliability and quality control in the manufacturing process. The fact is it's a pretty broad standard.
You can pick up a good entry level AR from Ruger, colt, S/W, Bushmaster for about $700.00
Twist rate is something to consider. Back in the day my A1 had a 1 in 9 twist. My A3 is 1/7, for heavier bullets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

salmonchaser":3tyrpwz2 said:
An A3 has a removable carry handle, allowing for mounting an optic.
Mill Spec should indicate a degree of reliability and quality control in the manufacturing process. The fact is it's a pretty broad standard.
You can pick up a good entry level AR from Ruger, colt, S/W, Bushmaster for about $700.00
Twist rate is something to consider. Back in the day my A1 had a 1 in 9 twist. My A3 is 1/7, for heavier bullets.

Most of what I see are 1:9 which seems quite suitable for the 55 grain plinkers I plan on loading for it. Although the 1:8 has piqued my interest some

1:9 handles up to conventional 69 grain HPBT bullets well.

I have to admit to just shooting an awful lot of 55 grainers, and they do well from the 1/9 too. Then again, I don't push my 16" barreled rifle much past 300 yards usually.

Guy

Consider the "wylde" chamber which splits the difference between .223 and 5.56.

You can find a complete lower and a complete upper with bolt carrier group and charging handle and get more choices online at gunbroker or other purveyors.

Otherwise, there are a lot of guns to choose from in all budgets.

Go to a local gun store and check them out. And, read reviews.

In the end, if you are shooting for fun, get one that you like and just shoot it. The cheapest ammo will shoot bad out of pretty much any gun.

If you plan on hunting, competing, or other, then certainly do more homework.

Stopped in my local GS today "just to browse" and ended up walking out with a Bushmaster XM-15 QRC 1:8 twist...Time I added a few extra mags and a Sightmark Ultra Shot Reflex Sight, I was right at my $800 budget...Hopefully get out one day next week and put some rounds through it.

Sounds as if you made a good purchase. No doubt it will be a good investment for you.

You'll be happy with the Bushmaster, we carried them in swat for years, they worked just fine.

Congratulations on your first AR.

I started with a Colt 6920 that I configured a bit different than factory. Changed the fore end, handgrip, pulled the carry handle off and mounted an EOTECH with back up sights, and put a Surefire light on it for things that go bump in the night.

It was pretty basic but beware. If you're not careful the AR can turn in to an adult version of Leggo Building Blocks.

I'll get an AR again as I had to sell that one. Already thinking about how I want to configure it. [emoji846]

Vince

Back