New (To me) Model 70 300 Weatherby

Palouser

Handloader
Jan 20, 2012
Just picked up a Model 70 in 300 Weatherby. Long story, kind of a mix up, bought it sight unseen advertised as a serial number of 661xxx and turned out to be G61xxx. Disappointed to get it and find out it was not a Pre-64. I was going to take the action and build the 7x57 but not anymore. After cooling down for a couple days, it has grown on me as has the caliber. Any thoughts on whether to keep it or send it down the road?
It looks unfired and is prob 95%-98%. I am not into magnums, although this caliber has really grown on me.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 736
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 736
Put a Weatherby scope on a Winchester Model 70, .300 Weatherby and call it a Mark V?

Have one just like it in 270Bee.....Love it. I wouldn't use it for a 7x57 - the bolt face is the wrong size. I'd keep it and put it through it's paces and see what it'll do.

Scott

Frankly, I would think that to be a great acquisition! It is a relatively rare chambering in a fine rifle. It should give a real thump to anything you would hunt. I'm not particularly a Weatherby fan, but there is no denying that they can deliver some fine accuracy. I have no doubt that the cartridge will perform very well for you in that rifle. I would leave it as it is and enjoy it.

Certainly not critical of caliber or of rifle brand. Just kind of surprised that dealer does not know the difference between a Winchester and a Weatherby? I hope that it shoots well for you and is accurate. I do not think that USRAC made too many of those Model 70's chambered for .270 or .300 Weatherby during the 1990's when they chambered these?

DrMike":eud7f8qx said:
Frankly, I would think that to be a great acquisition! It is a relatively rare chambering in a fine rifle. It should give a real thump to anything you would hunt. I'm not particularly a Weatherby fan, but there is no denying that they can deliver some fine accuracy. I have no doubt that the cartridge will perform very well for you in that rifle. I would leave it as it is and enjoy it.

Exactly what I was thinking, seems like the caliber for that rifle might be pretty rare, I have never seen one before but that isn't saying much. The more I think about it, the more I like it and it has a beautiful cut of wood on it which I am a huge fan of.

It is a long story Charlie, but yeah, disappointing to say the least that they couldn't tell the difference between a g and a 6 in the serial number. I think I am going to keep it and shoot it. It should be a real thumper.

muleman":3kb2hyhe said:
Have one just like it in 270Bee.....Love it. I wouldn't use it for a 7x57 - the bolt face is the wrong size. I'd keep it and put it through it's paces and see what it'll do.

Scott

Thanks for the advice! What powders does yours like? What kind of accuracy are you getting?

Not that I ever sell anything, but that one would be a keeper for me... It would look really nice in the safe between my .300 WinMag and .300 RUM M70s...

Well, that is a very nice score in my book. I like the 300 Wby and love the Model 70.. Seems like a solid combo if it shoots for you. Nice wood on it as well.

I would bet RL22 and 7828 would work really nice in that rifle. I know it was sort of a disappointment, but it still looks like a very nice rifle. Please post up your results. I bet a rifle like that would go quick should you decide to sell it.

Yeah, Scotty, if I have the cash if he decides to sell, I'd be making a quick road trip up to The Palouse!

BK":3ht2jlwd said:
Yeah, Scotty, if I have the cash if he decides to sell, I'd be making a quick road trip up to The Palouse!

I am with you Kurt. I'd like a Model 70 300 Wby myself. I have no 30 calibers anymore other than my 30-30 and grandads M99 300 Savage, so I feel like I am missing a piece of my arsenal. I passed a rifle like that a few years back when I was in NH.. Wished I could go back in time. That is for sure.

Woulda', coulda', shoulda'; it seems to be the story of our lives. So many rifles; so little time.

Palouser":31pcw8d7 said:
muleman":31pcw8d7 said:

Scott

Thanks for the advice! What powders does yours like? What kind of accuracy are you getting?

Palouser,
My 270Bee thrives on a diet of IMR 7828 and 140gr NABs. I'll soon be working on loads for the 150grLRAB.
Scott

muleman":2q4icmos said:
Palouser":2q4icmos said:
muleman":2q4icmos said:

Scott

Palouser,
My 270Bee thrives on a diet of IMR 7828 and 140gr NABs. I'll soon be working on loads for the 150grLRAB.
Scott

Thanks for the info!

Very nice. Used to own a M70 in 300 a few years back. It was a good shooter.

m70.jpg

I can definitely understand the disappointment of not getting the Pre-64 you thought you were getting, but you still got a good one. I have the same rifle. Love it. I bought it somewhere around 1998. I don't know if it's considered rare, but I haven't seen very many. I've shot several different loads over the years, but my current favorite is a 200 gr AccuBond. I think I'm using 78 gr of RL22. The velocity is about 2975 fps. Shoots under an inch. More than enough for anything on this continent. If it shoots straight, I say keep it!
BP

I have a 300 Wby and I really like it. The rifle is probably as accurate or better than anything else on opening day. Practice with it and you'll appreciate its long reach. The real joys of handloads shine with the 300 Wby. The 180gn bullets have been the most accurate for me. Every rifle is different. Don't be afraid to use the Barnes bullets in the 300 Roy. Ever heard of the Hammer of Thor? Good luck.

Back