New to muzzleloading, A few questions........

smitty81

Beginner
Apr 11, 2007
Ok, first off. I just got a traditional muzzleloader made by traditions. Its like a hawken but its called a mountain or something along those lines. My dad has it right now so I havnt been able to look through the manual.

1. Since its a traditional style, can I use the powder pellets? What If I switch the nipple to a musket cap nipple, then can I?

2. Is the musket cap nipple thread larger in diameter then the #11 nipple? A fella at the gun store told me they wouldnt interchange but I have read a few places that they would.

3. What does the barrel twist rate have to be before I can shoot sabots?

The other gun in question is a cva bobcat.

Any info would be helpful.

I haven't had a chance with the Hornady "Minie" yet, but 48" twist and faster should handle your sabots.

jim

1. Yes, if it is capable of shooting 100 grains of powder, however it may only be capable/like 70-90 grains.

2. I have no idea about that.

3. Sabots shoot best in 1:28 twist. Maxi-balls or patched roundballs usually work best in 1:48 twist.

I strongly suggest buying the Lyman blackpowder book. It is chock full of traditional muzzleloading information and loads that would be of great help to you, from a reliable source.

The instructions with my Pyrodex pellets state: "...are designed and intended for use only in newly manufactured muzzleloading, in-line rifles utilizing a saboted bullet or conical bullet together with a fiber wad....are not for use in Thompson/Center Scout rifles and pistols." It goes on further to warn about hang fires when used in a sidelock. Doesn't sound like it would be the best idea.

I am however familiar with the CVA Bobcat. DON'T BUY IT.
The stock is very poorly designed. It has not cheek piece, and puts all the recoil right into your face. Although it is an accurate rifle, it is very painful to shoot. If I can every find another stock for it, I can probably make something I'd be very happy with. It shoots 100gr a powder just fine, if you can handle it.

1/48 twist is designed for roundballs
1/28 twist is designed for any longer projectile, mini's maxie's, sabots ext.

A 1:48 socalled "compromise" twist does not shoot Maxi ball type bullets or round balls to well. But having said that, I would use the 400 + gr. Maxi ball type slug & use up to 100 gr. of loose powder. Powder pellets are not reccommended. You will be able to find a musket cap nipple that will fit your gun. The trick is to take the time to find out what slug & what weight of powder will shoot best. This will take some range time on your part. Good luck & enjoy :grin:

Back