New to reloading

Blkram":3ew72wm2 said:
The bent one is specific to lever actions, semi-autos and pump guns where you cannot remove the bolt from the action to take the measurement, as you can with the straight one. The 12" one should be fine for the 243 you have for now. (It also works better for rifles with monte carlo stocks, such as some of the Weatherby's).
Well that makes sense

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

RCBS offers excellent products and backs it up with a warranty and customer service that is second to none.
I have the Charge Master Lite powder measure and it does a great job.

JD338

ronc80":3polo95l said:
Overall length gauge sounds like it will come in handy for getting the rounds to match my gun. The bent one is for lever action. So do I need the longer one at 19 or so inches or the shorter one at 12 ish inches. The way it looks I need the straight one for the bolt action 243 or would the bent one work for both. No idea how to use them so I have to ask to some might be a dumb question but I'm dumb well not dumb just clueless

And the cartridge specific modified cases to go along with it, and the caliber specific comparator inserts..This setup will give you the measurement from the cartridge base to the bullet's ogive, which is the measurement you want to know when setting the "distance to the lands", and it's usually more consistent than measuring base to tip. There's tons of videos about using the OAL gauge and comparator.

If I had to buy a tractor, it would be Green just like my reloading tools. And Green I mean RCBS, A company that replaces a die from 1980 that is scratching case from 30 plus years of service says it all.

HBAR-156mm":2e86haaf said:
If I had to buy a tractor, it would be Green just like my reloading tools. And Green I mean RCBS, A company that replaces a die from 1980 that is scratching case from 30 plus years of service says it all.
Wow that does say alot. If that's not good customer service what would be?

ronc80":2tzxveq0 said:
Title says new to reloading. Not exactly true. Never done it but would like to start.
Let me tell you the reasons I would like to start. First I would like the best possible round that my gun will shoot. I like perfection or at least almost perfect. I like tinkering and getting the best out of what I have.
I started shooting a compound bow. After trips to pro shops to get my equipment tuned and what they think is good i purchased all the tools to work on my own bows. Now if i miss the spot were i am aiming it's not the arrow it's the Indian as they say.
Back to reloading i have a browning lever action 7mm 08 and a Remington model 783 243 that I would like to get the most out off. Both guns are nothing real special except they are mine.
My first question would be presses. Not looking to reload 1000nds of rounds fast. I am looking to load the best most accurate round I can. With a lot of testing and tinkering. So single stage would be best I think. What brand would people recommend and why. I kinda had an eye on the hornady lock and load but not having and knowledge or experience that's not set in stone. Let's say money is not a concern. I'm not rich but I do know ya get

Be smart.....buy factory ammo.........lol. much good and free advise here. wish these guys were around when I began just after the Spanish American war.

lhsako":6fuyecqc said:
ronc80":6fuyecqc said:
Title says new to reloading. Not exactly true. Never done it but would like to start.
Let me tell you the reasons I would like to start. First I would like the best possible round that my gun will shoot. I like perfection or at least almost perfect. I like tinkering and getting the best out of what I have.
I started shooting a compound bow. After trips to pro shops to get my equipment tuned and what they think is good i purchased all the tools to work on my own bows. Now if i miss the spot were i am aiming it's not the arrow it's the Indian as they say.
Back to reloading i have a browning lever action 7mm 08 and a Remington model 783 243 that I would like to get the most out off. Both guns are nothing real special except they are mine.
My first question would be presses. Not looking to reload 1000nds of rounds fast. I am looking to load the best most accurate round I can. With a lot of testing and tinkering. So single stage would be best I think. What brand would people recommend and why. I kinda had an eye on the hornady lock and load but not having and knowledge or experience that's not set in stone. Let's say money is not a concern. I'm not rich but I do know ya get

Be smart.....buy factory ammo.........lol. much good and free advise here. wish these guys were around when I began just after the Spanish American war.
This is why I'm here. I am going to try to find someone local to help me also but I haven't found anyone yet. Not a whole lot of gun clubs around. The gun shop I buy all my guns and ammo from sells reloading stuff so next time I'm over that way I am going to put a bug in his ear. See if he knows anyone that would be willing to help.

I wouldn't go hog wild at first and only buy what you need for what cartridges you are going to load for and a starter kit is the way to go. If later you have a need to load more precise ammo then buy what you need to add on.
Practice the K.I.S.S. method and you will be OK.

ronc80":2yfjyxea said:
lhsako":2yfjyxea said:
ronc80":2yfjyxea said:

This is why I'm here. I am going to try to find someone local to help me also but I haven't found anyone yet. Not a whole lot of gun clubs around. The gun shop I buy all my guns and ammo from sells reloading stuff so next time I'm over that way I am going to put a bug in his ear. See if he knows anyone that would be willing to help.

if you're close I'd be more than happy to help get you started , Philipsburg Pa

Jimbires thanks for the offer. 4.5 hrs away is a little more than I could travel. My work schedule, Mommas work schedule and 3 kids still at home would make that real tough.

Central Ohio if that’s closer?
The guys have given you good advice.
Mine is get a second scale. Example, if you buy a digital then pick up a good beam scales. Check loads on both every so often.
Some digital scales and powder measures don’t like the ballasts on flourescent lighting. Sometimes skews the measure a little. Run a few through wherever you set your bench.
Just some thoughts.

Thanks to you all for all the great advise. Much needed. Much more needed. I live in upstate NY about an hour from Binghamton. Catskill mts.

You have two members who live around 1hr from you NY Dan and Rol_P who would likely help if asked.
When looking at reloading Kits I would consider the Redding Boss my first choice since it is made in the USA right in Cortland NY and their beam scale is second to none compared to the new ones on the market today. A used Ohaus made in NJ would be my second choice for a scale. If your lazy or in a hurry then get a digital but for a good one expect to pay for it.
These are my opinions and will differ from someone else's.

truck driver":1xmssw3u said:
You have two members who live around 1hr from you NY Dan and Rol_P who would likely help if asked.
When looking at reloading Kits I would consider the Redding Boss my first choice since it is made in the USA right in Cortland NY and their beam scale is second to none compared to the new ones on the market today. A used Ohaus made in NJ would be my second choice for a scale. If your lazy or in a hurry then get a digital but for a good one expect to pay for it.
These are my opinions and will differ from someone else's.
Thank you Truck driver. In my eyes perfection takes work and patience. I'm a finish carpenter and to do things right takes both. Boss sometimes forgets this but I was hired and I'm paid because of this. Beam scales I can see them being great but there is a human error element that I'd like to avoid. I've checked out the A&D scales. Pretty pricey but also precise.
I'm trying to eliminate anything besides me that could decrease accuracy. Not saying I wont make mistakes but hopefully I learn from them

ronc80":285eqcgm said:
Thanks to you all for all the great advise. Much needed. Much more needed. I live in upstate NY about an hour from Binghamton. Catskill mts.

Ronc, I live about 90 minutes west of Binghamton - only 4 miles off from route 17 (I86) I would be happy to help you get started. If you care to visit sometime I could show some of the equipment being discussed and show you how to set it up and how to use it. There is nothing like handling things to get a feel for it. It will be easier for you to make decisions then. If you are interested just PM me.

Dan

NYDAN":pwihtuur said:
ronc80":pwihtuur said:

Ronc, I live about 90 minutes west of Binghamton - only 4 miles off from route 17 (I86) I would be happy to help you get started. If you care to visit sometime I could show some of the equipment being discussed and show you how to set it up and how to use it. There is nothing like handling things to get a feel for it. It will be easier for you to make decisions then. If you are interested just PM me.

Dan
PM sent. Thank you

Well maybe PM not sent tried twice not getting it to send

ronc80":23wzwfgq said:

Got your PM but doesn't seem like I can send any

ronc80":4q88dipe said:
ronc80":4q88dipe said:

Got your PM but doesn't seem like I can send any

Maybe if you'd be ok with it PM me your cell number and I could text or even call. Your PM is working mines not for some reason. I've tried everything I can think of
Ron

Back