New to reloading

Ron, just sent you a PM. I don't know what other one you might have received but it wasn't from me.

When you send a PM, it stays in your outbox until the person receiving it retrieves it from his/her inbox. However, it was actually sent.

Dan

NYDAN":1fsa7rea said:
Ron, just sent you a PM. I don't know what other one you might have received but it wasn't from me.

When you send a PM, it stays in your outbox until the person receiving it retrieves it from his/her inbox. However, it was actually sent.

Dan
Yup got it just sent you 2 more

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

jimbires":99fjgok7 said:
fantastic , looks like you found a helper .
Yes I have some things that have priority first but it's all good. Thanks for the heads up on the A&D scale
Ron

I wont tell you what I don't know

if you're shopping for the A&D scale give these guys a look . I bought mine from them . at the time they had the best price by far . they are in Canada , but it was shipped from a warehouse on the east coast . my credit card did the money exchange .I just forget how it worked they had a goofy way of ordering . there was a little back and forth , but it was hassle free .

https://cambridgeenviro.com/products/ba ... es-fx-120i

Old will knotts scales had an exceptional price less than 600. Probably a holiday sale price and wont be that when I'm ready to order

Still under 600
b7de6aea175898aa610083f28e0abe78.jpg

Just start out with either a PACT or RCBS electric scale. I calibrate mine at the start of the load process and about every 20 loads. See, your rifles, while good rifles, are not accurate enough to "tell the difference" from an RCBS and the A&D measured load. The RCBS or PACT will "get all the goody" either rifle has, as far as accuracy goes. Later on, you can buy a more precise rifle and then the upgrade will be worth it. I know that's "harsh" but its the truth Pard, but mainly, just enjoy yourself! I love handloading as much as hunting. I use an RCBS Rockchucker press I traded for back in late 70's. before then, I used a RCBS beam scale and a LEE Loader, "hammer em in, hammer em out", ha. They are "in line" dies and I got a lot of sub MOA loads for a .280 Mod 77. Very enjoyable. :)

preacher":156jmz8t said:
Just start out with either a PACT or RCBS electric scale. I calibrate mine at the start of the load process and about every 20 loads. See, your rifles, while good rifles, are not accurate enough to "tell the difference" from an RCBS and the A&D measured load. The RCBS or PACT will "get all the goody" either rifle has, as far as accuracy goes. Later on, you can buy a more precise rifle and then the upgrade will be worth it. I know that's "harsh" but its the truth Pard, but mainly, just enjoy yourself! I love handloading as much as hunting. I use an RCBS Rockchucker press I traded for back in late 70's. before then, I used a RCBS beam scale and a LEE Loader, "hammer em in, hammer em out", ha. They are "in line" dies and I got a lot of sub MOA loads for a .280 Mod 77. Very enjoyable. :)
Oh believe me I realize my rifles are nothing special. Yes I could easily get by with these cheaper scales. Might be going with one of them anyway. I haven't made any decisions on anything yet.
So here's a question what did browning consider the moa from the factory on my 1987 model 81 BLR short action 7mm08. How would you find out?

Not that what browning thought 32 years ago really matters. Last time I shot it from my bench rest it was right around a 2" group at 100 yards with hornady American whitetail 149 gran at 2840 fps average through my chrono. Which is right on what the box states for fps
Just went back in my chrono saved info it wasnt in there must have lost it when I got a new phone.

Echoing what TruckDriver and Preacher said, I would say get a quality kit and learn to use it first before adding in a bunch of expensive "precision" gear that you may not find necessary. Good consistent use of a standard press and dies often reaps sub MOA accuracy.

When you can consistently develop and shoot MOA or less loads, then you need to decide if want to add in some of the precision extras because they won't get you much farther in a non-custom gun. But if you have a consistent MOA load developed, make no doubt about it, that is a precision load designed specifically for your gun. I would try and get to that point before going down the "precision loading/accuracy" rabbit hole. Use that extra money you saved and load and shoot a bunch first or join a local gun club. Just my .02.

That's some really good advice from BrettN; I'd recommend that myself. As a 40 year reloading veteran I have found much of what I need in developing a reliable and very accurate load with just the basic tools. Although, I do have two rifles that I'm going to be buying some precision gear for in hopes of finding the elusive one hole group. But careful case prep, accurate powder measuring, consistent bullet seating, and using top quality components will allow you to make both of your rifles sing a sweet song. I was able to get sub moa groups from my old .35 cal Marlin lever gun with simple, basic hand loads. My 7mm-08 bolt gun can be enticed to give up cloverleafs from its lightweight Model 7 barrel when treated right.

I also find it to be an enjoyable way to pass the time. My kids [and now my grandkids] will occasionally join me in the loading room for an hour or so. They like the idea of getting to shoot the ammo that they assembled.

The one perk that I have really enjoyed over the years was the addition of the RCBS integrated powder dispenser and electronic scale. It speeds up the process and retains accuracy. But as previously noted fluorescent lighting in the immediate vicinity can affect it; I'm going to be putting LED lighting in the reloading room soon. Also, build yourself a STABLE work surface to mount your equipment on. Wiggles, and jiggles, and vibrations are not your friend when doing precision work.

Also, and I think you've already stumbled on to this truth, "Reloading doesn't save you any money. It allows you to shoot more." But please don't tell this to my wife.

I'm not trying to be smart or a wise guy but it sounds like your in a hurry and think all the electronic gadgets will be the cure for developing a miracle accurate load without the trouble of development.
Reloading is a love of labor and nothing comes easy with out a little effort and the faster you try to make things go in the process the more you let yourself open for mistakes and having a catastrophic accident like blowing up a rifle and bodily injury. (JMO)

I load with nothing electronic, nor with anything newer (other than dies, and one press) than 30 years old, I have bullets older than that. I do not own a chronograph but have high quality optics. I used a file for trimming cases up until the 80's. My best rifles shoot sub 1/2 MOA, on the days that I can. My hunting rifles right at 1 MOA. The sole function of my rifles is hunting, unless you will be shooting longggggggg distance or want to shoot bug hole groups, all day long, the high priced top end stuff is probably not necessary. Buy quality but keep in mind your ultimate goals, for reloading. Just my .02

Hey all. I'm so glad I found this site. Everyone has giving me great advise. I have read and reread everyone's posts. All sound advise
I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for so in my eyes if a spend a little more up front for something I'll be ahead of the game in the long run. Again I will say I'm just in the research stage of this quest. There is a definite top to the budget so somethings will have to be not top of the line.
To me a good press, a good precision set of dies, precise scale and a pretty good set of calipers is were I shouldn't skimp on quality. Theres other things that I've been looking at to help me be the best I can be but I'm not going to list them all. Remember I'm new to this but this the way I think
I know I still have to learn how to do this and develop knowledge and skill for sure. I have to start somewhere. This is why I'm here
Thanks all for everything you've explained and helped me with so far. Believe me I'm not done with you all yet. More dumb questions to follow
Ron

Back