New to us Rem 700 SPS in 25 Whelen

IMG_20160102_161013170.jpg
Nothing spectacular, so just for fun will be trying 57.5/58/58.5/59 just to see what happens. Had a 3/4" group going there then as barrel warmed up it seamed to spew a couple outside the group?? So outside to outside the two furthest are 1.6"...The RL25 seams to be to the 25 Whelen what RL15 is to the 35 Whelen........

Earle it looks like you have the right combination going there (y)! Can you find Reloader 25 quite easily in your area?

Blessings,
Dan

Yes Dan there seams to be some around at the moment @ $29 per can ???
I am going to guess I can get these 117 launched out over 3200 pretty easy
As 57 gr seams pretty mild in this gun...... :wink: Just need to decide which bullet to
Concentrate on for long range stuff as it sounds like in Kansas 400 yds is more
Probably; than an exception? :?
E

Got two things to add about this gun, I cant believe how much I like the feel and balance of this Rem 700 rifle, even though a Win Model 70 is my "go too rifle" for the last 35 years, and I own 3 Rugers that have all the M 70 features I like on a rifle, there is something about this Remmy, that is hard to put in words; but I gotta say for the money its a beauty!
Not to mention this 25 caliber thing, has bitten me bad, as these things are FUN to shoot !!!
I honestly see my old faithful 243 Ruger, spending alot of time collecting dust in the future......

Yup. Ya just gotta love the Quarter Bores.

JD338

JD338":2hgh1f3s said:
Yup. Ya just gotta love the Quarter Bores.

JD338

For sure. They have a HUGE following up North where I am from. Most of my younger family runs a 257 Wby, 25-06 and some 243's.. They love the way the .257's just put deer in a slump.

Rescoped with the new Weaver Tactical today, got on paper at 100, then out to 200, 59gr RL25 under 100gr Pro Hunter, Zeroed
Gun at 200 yds. Reset turrets to read zero and tightened up. Then had to raise elevation 10 clicks to be dead on at 300 yds,
Brought target back in too 200yds and back to zero on the Weaver, dead Nuts! Target back out to 300yds , Weaver up 10 clicks,
Dead on again! I am pleased with the tracking! So far so good
E

Sounds like it's going to work... Now you need to slaughter a few of those dogs for us!

Lol, ok I am on it! The light gathering ability on this Weaver is good at 12X, even though is only 44mm? I was watching until it was very dark, long after center wires had disapeared, and because we were to get a foot of new snow, I though there might be s good chance a young one might stroll out,but i was sorta taken back that none did! I checked a couple of times in the nite and narda........but we are standing by!

Still need to find out how many clicks up for 400 and 500 yds and see if this thing can bring me my first songdog
Over 400 yds ???

After some research, I am now looking at the 90gr Sierra Blitzking bullets, nice BC, and they claim jacket design made especially for over 300......... :grin: At around 3500 would this not ruin a coyotes day?
Hello Midway, I would like to order two boxes of the 90gr.......... (y)

35 Whelen":1pmhhamj said:
After some research, I am now looking at the 90gr Sierra Blitzking bullets, nice BC, and they claim jacket design made especially for over 300......... :grin: At around 3500 would this not ruin a coyotes day?
Hello Midway, I would like to order two boxes of the 90gr.......... (y)

I was thinking the same thing E.... I'm going to look locally.

Read quite a few reviews about 90gr BK on Coyotes , and there is Alot of happy Campers with their results ! With that high BC
And the high velocity, should make a wicked long range puppy pellet?

Never run this one over a chrono - I know it isn't a screamer, but it IS a one holer.

y-b2.JPG

5shot":69vc5lgd said:
Never run this one over a chrono - I know it isn't a screamer, but it IS a one holer.

y-b2.JPG

Oh, yeah, that'll put a grin on your chin. Fine accuracy.

Wow!! Very nice.

I might grab some of those 90's as well E. They might be fun to see what they will do.

Back