New Vintage Woods Rifle

JD338

Range Officer
Staff member
Nov 4, 2004
I picked up a new woods rifle, a vintage Remington M660 in 308 Winchester. This will be a dream to carry in the woods, not to mention in the blind or a ladder stand.
Although it currently has a Redfield 2-7x Wildfield set in Redfield rings and bases, I'm awaiting a picatinny rail. I'm going to mount a Leupold VX-3 2.5-8x36mm scope. Plan on shooting the Barnes 130 TTSX so long as it shoots decent. If not, it shoots 165 gr BT well as is and stacks them on the 250 yard gong.

JD338

Attachments

• IMG_20241019_123422.jpg
    IMG_20241019_123422.jpg
    275.8 KB · Views: 32
Boy that there is a classic rifle. As has been noted that should be great, quick handling rifle. The Luey is a perfect choice. Do you have plans for the Redfield? CL

Thanks fellas. She seems to be a shooter.
I'll post updated pics once I get the scope updated.

JD338

I love those rifles. I’ve got an original 600 in 243 from 1967. My buddy who is a Smith I swear has every caliber they made except for 35 rem and 223. His brother picked one up just like mine a few years back out in Arizona and a pawnshop for $300. I know we had to do a little work on it, but it looks like brand new now just like mine. I took mine out the year before last and shot a deer with a 90 grain ballistic tip. That’s the one I posted about here not too long ago. It’s slammed to the ground like a freight train hit it and never moved. Always wanted one in 308 but they’re getting way up there in price for the original 600s like mine with the vented rib. Bought mine and GunBroker about a decade to go for about 440 bucks and it looked like brand new. Put a discontinued aftermarket trigger in it that would use the original safety so you can’t really tell the triggers been replaced. I’ve got it down to a pound and a quarter right now. Originally bought it for a walking predator rifle, but haven’t really used it other than for deer hunting and plinking. First thing I did was float it and glass bed it along with the trigger. It’ll shoot .2 inch groups using a random hand load with those 90 grain ballistic tips that I have loaded for my other rifle.

Back