New Weatherby Vanguard 375 H&H Mag!

Dan,
My wife thinks a rifle is a rifle is a rifle. In her mind there is no reason for more than one other than I want one. She's likely the one who started the thread, "If you could have only one rifle", in order to respond to my saying I need another rifle for hunting X animal.

Thomas

RiverRider":3rx0lheq said:
I'm trying to figure out a way to justify a rifle in .375 Ouch & Ouch. Does anybody know of any documented cases of hunters being eaten by hogs? A really GOOD article would have my wife telling me I cannot go to the lease with anything smaller than the .375, so someone help me out.
:mrgreen:

if you live anywhere close to a zoo, an exotic game farm such as buffalo, or a place that the circus occasionally visits (or travels through), then you have a reason.

when I was a Boy Scout we were taught "be prepared"

so I will reason that you NEED to go purchase a .375 H&H just for that rare instance that some exotic animal escapes and a 30-06 just isn't the right rifle for the job, that puts you in the spot to "save the day" and bag a pretty neat trophy at home

the likely hood of the above scenario? slim, but you can't be any too careful protecting your wife :grin:

I keep a box of 300 gr FMJ ammo handy, just in case a rampaging elephant escapes into my little town.

Not that the annual carnival rates a circus with an elephant... But there's always hope. :mrgreen:

tim629":kkothmg9 said:
RiverRider":kkothmg9 said:
I'm trying to figure out a way to justify a rifle in .375 Ouch & Ouch. Does anybody know of any documented cases of hunters being eaten by hogs? A really GOOD article would have my wife telling me I cannot go to the lease with anything smaller than the .375, so someone help me out.

if you live anywhere close to a zoo, an exotic game farm such as buffalo, or a place that the circus occasionally visits (or travels through), then you have a reason.

so I will reason that you NEED to go purchase a .375 H&H just for that rare instance that some exotic animal escapes and a 30-06 just isn't the right rifle for the job, that puts you in the spot to "save the day" and bag a pretty neat trophy at home

the likely hood of the above scenario? slim, but you can't be any too careful protecting your wife :grin:

Hot DOG! There's a sanctuary for big cats, probably seven or eight miles away! I think a .375 would be about ideal should an African lion show up in my backyard. Thanks for the idea!!

RiverRider":1fbzw2tq said:
tim629":1fbzw2tq said:
RiverRider":1fbzw2tq said:

Hot DOG! There's a sanctuary for big cats, probably seven or eight miles away! I think a .375 would be about ideal should an African lion show up in my backyard. Thanks for the idea!!
There you go!
Those lions can be dangerous. Best be ready just in case.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

This all sounded too good to be true up until an hour ago when it dawned on me...she's going to say, "but you said that .35 Whelen would be the end-all-be-all before you bought it, and now you're saying it's inadequate??"

I'm really going to have to thread the needle on this one.

is the 35 whelen stainless? if not you NEED the 375 for that rainy day and the 35 for sunny days

The insight demonstrated by this crowd is simply overwhelming. Such rational thought! Such consideration of fellow shooters. Finally, with 5300+ people to provide sage suggestions, I can't miss when I rationalize a new rifle to my sweet lady. (y)

tim629":2koq9u23 said:
is the 35 whelen stainless? if not you NEED the 375 for that rainy day and the 35 for sunny days

Dang right buddy!!! And if that's not enough we can find more reasons!!

Back