Newbie needs help with reloading equipment

Scorpion210

Beginner
Dec 29, 2004
I am looking to start reloading and have no experience with reloading equipment. I am looking for suggestions on which equipment to purchase. I would like to buy a kit to get started with but do not know which brand is good or bad. I am looking for entry to mid level equipment.

Thanks for any suggestions

Get yourself an RCBS Master Reloading Kit with Rock Chucker press. It will last you the rest of your life and of course you will want other accessories as you go along but this will get you started and work well for you. It comes in a box with almost everything you need. Here's what else you will need to buy separately at a minimum for now:
Powder trickler, Caliper (analog is fine), primer pocket brush, flash hole reamer, case trimmer (if not included in kit--lee case length gages are my favorite and simple to use), full length sizing dies, and set of shell holders. I also like the loading blocks made by mtm. You may want to get a tumbler and media to clean your brass and help with sizing and slick loading. The cheapest one I know of is made by Frankford Arsenal and this is what I use and it works fine. Get a media sifter as well. The list can go on and on, and will over time, but this will get you loading ammo in no time! Be careful, it's addicting...

I started with the RCBS Turret Kit. Would never go any way but with a Turret. However, I maybe would have gone with a Redding Turret, as I think it is the mother of all presses.

Even with a kit you will be adding and perhaps upgrading some of the items that come in the kits. I am glad I learned what I needed to know by starting with a kit. But there is something to be gained by buying each item individually after much research . . . even if it will cost you more in the short haul.

I also started with the Frankford tumbler. It lasted about 2 years and puked out. Never again.

Long

Forgot to mention, I will be loading for a 270wsm primarily if that makes a difference in the type of press. From what I have been reading about, it looks like the Rockchucker kit would fit the bill for me.

Rock-Chucker..............
My Dad has passed his along to me. This thing has hours of use. Of course I thought there was bigger and better out there, and also have a Dillon. I will soon have the Rock-Chucker mounted right next to it, and will probably use it more!!
Kits are nice to get started, but as stated.........there are items that you'll want to pick and choose after you get started, then the reduncancy sets in.
Good luck, and welcome to the Reloading world.

I currently load for several rifles and handguns using a Lee Turret press. The use of removable turrets saves time by not have to remove/install the various dies even though they are set. I also have a digital scale and a Lyman 1200 powder dispenser. What ever press you decide on, I would highly recommend spending the money to get an electronic powder dispenser, be it Lyman, RCBS or ??????. By the way, my 270WSM loves 160PTs using59gn of H4831SC and Fed GM215M primers. It also loves the 140AB using 61.5gn of RL-19 also using the GM215M primers. One more thing, I buy the RCBS X FL sizing dies for my rifles if they are available.

Another vote for RCBS, but I have never been around anything else. I also started with the kit and thought it a decent platform to learn with. From there the list of accessories and add-ons is infinite. First on the list for me were a headspace gauge and bullet puller.

I reloaded my first shell at 11years old on a RCBS press and still have one now.
I would consider looking at a Hornady press also.

For the money, you can't beat a Lee "Classic Cast" press. Built like a rock and under $70.

Blaine

Back