Nickel Brass and Accubonds "shavings"

HuntElk4Fun

Beginner
Oct 2, 2005
I've been reloading for a very long time. I recently shifted to 160 gr AB's for my 7mm. I started with some factory 2nds to sight in the gun, work up my load, etc. Anyway, I recently came upon some Nickel brass exactly like my normal RP headstamps. Today I worked up some loads for my elk hunt next week using some brand new AB's. I noticed when I would seat each bullet small, fine shavings from the bullet would appear around the neck. These would break right off if I ran my finger around, etc. Still, I've NEVER run into this before. Any thoughts? This is my first time playing with Nickel brass, is it just tougher and peels a thin layer of the bullet off as it seats? Should I be concerned? My first thought, although it's very minimal amount of shavings, that the bullet is no longer it's original weight and shape, thus performance may not be 100% as expected. Finally, is this normal with "nickel" vs. standard brass?

Any thoughts would be very helpful!

Did you champfer the inside of the case mouth?
Most of my brass is brass. The few nickle cases i have are for my 243 wssm and I did notice a diference in how stiff the bullet seemed to seat. I don't shoot the gun or load much for it. I didn't have any copper shavings from bullet seating. Maybe your bullet to case alignment was off a little allowing the bullet to be seated at a slight angle and shaving the jacket.

Loaded another 20 tonight using the same box of AB's but with "normal" brass vs. the nickel, no problems. Weird indeed. I'm very thorough on my steps, wondering if I goofed something along the way. Can't think of what, I'm puzzled.

I load several different loads with nickel brass and they all have minute shavings when seating bullets in them, never affected performance so far, but it's not something you goofed on, it just happens with nickel, it appears to be much stronger, and less forgiving than regular brass....

The topic of the abrassive nature of the inside necks of nickel cases has been discussed in several threads. Make sure you chamfer well, preferably with a VLD chamfer tool, and maybe even polish up the inside necks some with a steel or bronze bore brush chucked in a drill or dremel. Then you won't get copper shavings or the coating coming off.

old #7":5g9zuhta said:
Did you champfer the inside of the case mouth?

Yup!

I use this

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.e ... mid=342199

Lyman VLD (Very Low Drag) Chamfer Reamer

Standard reamers chamfer with a 45 degree angle. The Lyman VLD (Very Low Drag) cuts at 22 degrees. Bullets will fit easily into the case avoiding damage from sharp case mouths.

i213972sq02.jpg

I reload nickel cases in Federal's 375H&H and 416Rigby. Usually, I would not bother with nickel cases, but with the price of 416 brass, I RELOAD THEM!
I have never noticed any bullet shavings, but I always use the Lyman VLD chamfer tool on the case necks.
I also use Imperial sizing die wax, it works great 8)

I do chamfer the inside of the mouth, etc., but it sounds like with Nickel I need to get a little more aggressive! :grin:

I use a RCBS tool now, but like the looks of that Lyman one.

Thanks for all of the help!!

you could expand the neck like for cast bullets, use a center punch
or one of the lee dies made for such
Universal Case Expanding Die

Gently flares the case mouth to accept cast bullets without shaving. Works great to prevent damaging the moly and low friction coatings found on today's high performance jacketed bullets. Includes neck plugs for .22 cal through .45 cal. Works on everything from the 22 Hornet to the larges Ultra Mag. Costs so little and works so well you can't afford to be without one.

LEE Universal Case Expanding Die $12.98

90798 Serv.Parts

Like 340boy I loaded Federal Nickel Brass with no problems. 30-06 Sprng and 375 HH.

Remington Nickel Plated Brass in 270 Win shaved the bullets.

Different brands, different kind of plating, I suppose.

I too have had the same shaving problem with Federal 300 Win Mag and 7x30 Waters. Pop has a great suggestion with the Lyman VLD chamfer tool.

JD338

FC and WW Nickle Brass cases are my hunting loads......used them for years!

Make sure you chamfer around the case and then ream the top!

I use a Lyman VLD Chamfer tool.

The Lyman M die is good to have also!

Another vote for the lyman vld chamferer. I have one mounted in my rcbs trimmate. I wouldn't load anything without a touch up with the vld. ALSO you could use the lyman M-die.

Another trick I learned with working with nickel brass is to trim it early...it just seems to clean up better if the trimmer isn't trying to "hack off" alot of material.

Back