Nickel plated brass.

ksubuck

Handloader
Jun 25, 2014
A kid at the range has been shooting box after box of factory loaded 300 WSM. He doesn't reload and has no interest in it, says he isn't patient enough. He wants to trade 160 once fired cases for an old range bag I have.

My question is twofold. First, is nickel brass that hard to work with and second, do you think I can open the neck up to a 325 WSM?

The nickel plated brass is much harder than ordinary brass. The nickel stuff stays cleaner since it is smoother and harder, but it is very tough at the shoulder and neck so expanding those areas is hard. Even running it in a full length resizing die is not quite as easy as ordinary brass. For what its it worth, it might be OK to experiment with it. I would hold out for ordinary brass if you can wait.

If the brass is hard, you could anneal it and then try to size it to 325. My dad's 25-06 uses nickel plated brass and I had to anneal because of cracked necks after the first shooting.

Eh. I suppose I will pass. Don't really need it, especially if it will be difficult to neck up to .323

In regards to annealing, will nickel plated brass still glow a faint rose color before turning orange like regular brass? I do have some laying around that I don't currently use.

I have been shooting electrolys nickel plated brass in my .30-06 for years. No issues but I mostly neck size and don't neck up.

I've been shooting the same325WSM nickel factory brass for several years. 3 loads and counting, it's hard but very durable. Don't know about necking up but I've fire formed about 200 Federal 22-250 into AIs and haven't lost a one.

Scott

ksubuck":2n9fvnkq said:
Eh. I suppose I will pass. Don't really need it, especially if it will be difficult to neck up to .323

In regards to annealing, will nickel plated brass still glow a faint rose color before turning orange like regular brass? I do have some laying around that I don't currently use.

I anneal nickel plated the same as any other brass. Works fine. I am still shooting nickel plated brass in my 270WSM with very very few failures ever. I would grab it, 160 pieces of once fired brass isn't a bad deal if the bag isn't worth a ton. I would ask if you could try a piece or two first, anneal them and neck them up. Might be a score if it works.

Like everyone else said...it's pretty hard stuff but decent stuff.

Me and a buddy of mine both reload nickle plated winchester cases and haven't had too many problems with it until today. He had 2 split necks out of 3 shots on 3-fired casings this morning. The box of 50 he's got loaded up are getting pulled apart and annealed before he shoots anymore.

I have quite a bit of nickel plated brass for my 280 Rem and for my 270 WSM. The brass has served me well and I continue to use it. In years gone by, this particular brass was prone to flake. The newer brass doesn't flake as it once did. I wouldn't hesitate to buy nickel plated brass.

Back