Nightforce sale

The brightest scope I have ever looked through was an late 80's model 8X56 Schmidt bender that was on a guys elk rifle. The outside looked like it had been through a war, but when I looked though it, all I could say was WOW!!!! and that was a 20 year old scope!

DrMike":3lmcs3rn said:
usmc 89":3lmcs3rn said:
Owning three schmidt/bender PMII's and hearing some "dude" put a leupold varix-3 next to a schmidt and couldnt see a bit of difference only suggests the DMV needs to revoke his drivers license and issue him a dog.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

You know Jeff...you should tell us how you really feel :lol: !! We all want to think that US companies are at least keeping up or being the leaders with quality products, but they have been left behind for quite a few years when it comes to high end optics for most applications.

I had a chance to use a mark 6 last month and it was an improvement over the mark 4 with the pinch turn mil-mil turrets and reticle. The ffp was nice also. All in all a good scope but at the price point of 2200+ i still think i would have bought a nightforce F1. Leupold sat on its hands for a long time in the tactical market and let others get by them. The mark 6 line is a good step in the right direction for a comeback. Trust me if leupold starts putting out gear better than what i have i will use it, i just dont see them breaking into the schmidt/bender, premier, or hendsolt realm anytime soon.

I think a lot of one's opinion on NF depends on what you're trying to use it for...

If you're trying to shoe horn it into the hunting niche, I think it will do admirable work and wouldn't be a bad choice for very hard hunting. But it's by no means the best glass compared to some of the euro glass, especially at first or last light.

What you do get though, is probably the strongest scope body and most accurate/robust internals available today. The mechanical repeatability is second to none. (I ran a 40 round box drill - firing one round and then adjusting after each shot, so that they covered a 20moa by 20moa box at 100 yards. My last shot, after 39 adjustments, was within the 1 moa that the rifle shoots.) This is one of the reasons that they are so popular with the benchrest/F-class crowd.

For a rifle I'd carry into harms way, I think they are flat out one of the best. My scoped AR carries on in 2.5-10 and my 'tacticool' bolt gun sports one in 5.5-22.

I absolutely agree with the: "in harm's way" remarks for the Nightforce and for competition as well. There are, as you said, a lot of really nice sporting scopes out there that will do better in really low light.

Back