Nikon BDC reticle

G

Is anybody using one of these? I am considering one, and want a real-world opinion. Is it fairly workable, or a true gimmick? Seems workable enough, but then again, so did communism.

The circles seem to be a bit confusing for the various aiming points they suggest and add unnecessary clutter. I much prefer the simple hash marks that Leupold and many other optic manufacturers use.

I intended to buy a Monarch with hold-over marks for a new custom rifle but just didn't like the circles. I may just get another Leupold with the Boone & Crocket reticle, simple and functional.

I have the Nikon Monarch 5.5 - 16.5X/44 w/ BDC on my 300RUM. I haven't gone out to verify the compensating capabilities yet, but I found it to have better clarity than a VX-3. Any way you can't go wrong with either the Nikon Monarchs or the VX-2/VX-3 Leupolds.

Richracer1":bwl3wlq6 said:
I have the Nikon Monarch 5.5 - 16.5X/44 w/ BDC on my 300RUM. I haven't gone out to verify the compensating capabilities yet, but I found it to have better clarity than a VX-3. Any way you can't go wrong with either the Nikon Monarchs or the VX-2/VX-3 Leupolds.

I have the same scope but w/ a duplex reticle on my 22-250. Its a good scope but I think my VXIII's and Mark 4 are crisper to my eyes.

JD338

I have a nikon 5.5-16.5 x 44 w/ a nikoplex reticle (a few years old). I have no experience w/ a bdc ret, but here is some advice on the nikon. They are excellent scopes, clear as a VX III, precice clicks and a little cheaper the the VX III. However, they only have 42 minutes of adjustmant compared to the 70 (approximately) minutes in most VX III's. I love my scope, but I would steer people towards the Leopold if they want to do long range shooting. My scope only allows me to sight in for a max range of 500 yards with my 30-06.

There's no gimmick here. It's Nikon answer to Burris Ballistic Flex reticle. Nikon used circle rather than hash mark on their scope. This type of reticle is effective on big games, as long as you limit your shot this side of 500 yards and you know your cartridge trajectory. Nikon makes good scope eventhough they enter in this arena kind of late. Their scope tracks very well and has superb glass. IMO, they're superior to Leupold. Now as far as customer service is concern, Leupold is numero uno. RJ

Nikon makes a good scope, the only problem with any scope with BDC is the scope will have the drop set for only one load. Reloaders can make up loads that will match the scope, or you can order custom ammo. So far the only scope I have found that will custom make a BDC to my specifications for under $2000 is Leupold. Leatherwood makes a great out of the box scope for the 308, 170 gr. NATO long range round, mounted on 1 in 10 twist sniper set ups and some AR10's. It uses a cam to adjust the drop, so with a little tweaking it will adjust to other rifles.

On the BDC reticle, there are actually three different aiming points....top, bottom, and middle of the circle. Remember also, that if you change the magnification, you will change how the shot lines up on the BDC.
Let's say you have a 3-9x40BDC and are shooting "X" bullet at "Y' speed. You sight in at 200yds... Go out to 250yds and shoot at the target with the cross-hairs. Mark the impact and see where it crosses the BDC when again aiming at the target. THEN you adjust the magnification so it hits the top, bottom, or center of the circle...
So you could be dead on at 200yds. Top of the next circle at 250YDS, Center of next circle @ 300yds. and bottom of the next circle at 350yds....all this at 7X magnification.
Suggest going mil-dot if you want to play around with the long-range stuff. If you are talking about hunting, download "PointBlank" and just sight in your cartridge for the maximum point blank range.

Jim

Have just bought a Nikon Buckmaster 3-9x40 with the BDC. It will be going on my .260 Rem. Hopefully I will have it sorted soon and can give a rundown on how I find it.

Back