No Copper in 450 Marlin barrel

NYDAN

Handloader
Sep 17, 2013
I cleaned the 450 Marlin today and was surprised, once again, that there was no copper in the barrel. This barrel is easiest rifle barrel to clean that I have ever cleaned. All of the carbon comes out on the first patch. There are no traces of copper. I run about three cycles of Butches bore shine, brush, Butches bore shine, dry patch. However, one cycle is enough. I don't get any more carbon after the first cycle. No traces of copper at all. Then I run a patch of G-96 to clear all of the Butches Bore Shine and another couple of dry patches. Since it is Stainless Steel, I leave it dry.

Are all .458 caliber rifles this easy to clean or am I just lucky with this barrel?

Dan

Curious what your bullet of choice is? I bought 500 of the Remington 405 grain bullets for my .450 many years ago and I doubt I'll ever go through them all. My neighbor really likes the Speer that's listed as a plinker in his 45-70.

NYDan - I never got much in the way of jacket fouling in either of my .45/70 rifles.

I think much of that is due to the low velocity.

Guy

I have a Marlin Lever, is there an easy way to clean from the breach, or is the only reasonable way from the muzzle? I have have never disassembled it but it looks complex.

Elkman, very simple to remove the bolt. Open the action about halfway then remove the screw at the pivot point of the lever. Pull the lever, then the bolt and the ejector. Just take care with the ejector to make sure it's in the right position when you reassemble. A factory ejector will actually be in two pieces, but it's simple to deal with.

Elkman":3ljzhpbq said:
I have a Marlin Lever, is there an easy way to clean from the breach, or is the only reasonable way from the muzzle? I have have never disassembled it but it looks complex.

I only clean my Marlin 1895 from the breech. Like everything else in life, after you've done it the first time it's easy after that.

For an endless resource of information on Marlin lever actions from the guys who eat, sleep & breath Marlin, try Marlinowners.com

Elkman":vkoc2ktf said:

Easy to do - and another reason I prefer Marlin over Winchester.

Guy

lefty315":2ua8e81g said:
Curious what your bullet of choice is? I bought 500 of the Remington 405 grain bullets for my .450 many years ago and I doubt I'll ever go through them all. My neighbor really likes the Speer that's listed as a plinker in his 45-70.

Lefty, at this time my bullet of choice for the 450 Marlin is the Hornady 350 gr. FN. I just made at post in the .458 bullet test section that helps explain why.

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=34642

Here is a photo of actual results on a large buck. The entrance is on the BOTTOM of the photo. The bullet hit the scapula and broke three ribs goin in. The buck went straight down. The exit wound was quite impressive.

Wounds.JPG

I shot a deer last year with the 350 gr. FN and the bullet knocked the deer right off its feet. The bullet made a diagonal path through the deer and exited. The exit wound was quite large.

I shot a deer two years ago with the 325 gr. FTX. I hit the deer back a little in the liver and stomach. The deer ran off about 40 or 50 yards and expired. The insides were soup but the exit wound was much smaller than I expected.

Dan

Here are the results of dropping a Speer 400gr JFP bullet onto the shoulder of a Canadian Black Bear.
You can see the entrance hole in the middle of the exit wound.
It's rare to catch one of these bullets in a bear even though they will expand to 90 cal.
I caught one on a 350lb SC boar, that's how I know. :>)

Slipp_Bros_5-2013_024.jpg

One thing is certain: that bear wasn't going to travel far after that shot!

Back