Northeast hunting rifle and caliber

ajvigs

Handloader
Nov 1, 2012
What do you all think is the ideal NE hunting rifle and caliber? I like both bolts and levers. I already have a nice 45-70 Marlin, and if I wasnt in a bind I found a 35 REM JM stamp Marlin. I was thinking a 30-06 if I was to run a bolt action, in of couse a CRF Model 70 or a custom built off a Stiller Predator.

There are definitely no fleas on the 30/06, it does it all with little fuss. I wouldn't be quick to overlook the 270 winchester , or 308 either. I also really like the model 70 classic or new fn made in the 300 WSM. Make it stainless with synthetic top it with a leupy an go kill stuff!

Remington 700 Classic in 30-06, Leupold vari-XII 3-9, 180gr AB's, and you could hunt anything on this continent.

I hunt southeastern Pennsylvania, so "kind of" in the northeast. ;)

I have a 45-70 Guide Gun and a CRF M70 in 35 Whelen. I'd be hard pressed to come up with much I can't do with those two in this area. There is occasional field sitting, but shots in excess of 300 yards are very, very much the exception and not the rule. The vast majority of deer killed here are in the 0-150 yard range. I killed my buck last year at a whopping 17 yards, lol. And yeah, the Whelen did a number on him at that distance. :twisted:

My current favorites for hunting here are those two--- the Whelen and the 45-70. I tend more to the Whelen, not for action type or chambering, but because it sports a Swaro Z3 3-10x42, where the 45-70 wears an older VariX III 1.5-5 on it. The VariX isn't a bad scope, but it is outclassed by the Swaro for low light performance, which can be critical for my hunting situations. I am thinking that the 45-70 might just "need" a 1-6x VX6 with an illuminated #4, and then it might get a bit more play time.

In my neck of the woods, I'd say the 30-06 is the runaway favorite. Way behind, but still popular would be the likes of, .308 Winchester, 300 Savage, 35 Remington and 270 Winchester and the venerable 30-30. Then there is the occasional 300 Win Mag, 7mm Rem Mag or 35 Whelen.

If I was making something from the ground up, that's an interesting question.

What would it be?

Two directions I could see myself going.

1- The "Keith" route...bigger is better. 35 Whelen, 338-06AI, any 30-mag, etc. Gives lots of oomph up close, but can shoot long for those once in a while field shot opportunities.

2- The "O'Connor" route..... 6.5x55/260Rem/6.5 Creedmoo, 7x57/7-08, 257 Roberts etc. Good capabilities and less recoil. 300 yard capable, with plenty of steam and good bullets available to handle close shots.

Keith Route- I think I'd do a 338-06AI
O'Connor Route- 7x57

I've used both a 7-08 and an 06 for my Maine hunting and never had a complaint with either. I would opt for a lighter weight and shorter rifle as Northeast hunting can get tight.

While I have never hunted the Northeast...I am from the Northwest and my M70 CRF in .30-06 has never once let me down. And if you get lost, chances are if you find ammo it will likely be .30-06.

The '06 had been the parent of some fine calibers, .35 Whelen included, but I like your leanings towards a . 338-06. I'm a . 338 fan so that would be my choice. 6.5 calibers are nice but unless you're going to stretch them out, or shoot a lot of paper, I just don't see the attraction.

I am from the Northeast and just about anything mentioned has been used a time or two. My pop's uses a 30-06 year after year with 180 PT's and I hunted a whole lot with a 7mm Rem Mag with 140 PT's. Both of them piled deer up. I just pick what I am carrying that day depending on the terrain I am hunting, I use the 45-70 when I am going to be hunting the close stuff and my 270WSM if I think shots will be longer.

Tom pretty much nailed it, most all of your shooting is going to be under 150 yards unless your watching big fields, I usually like to be in the woods, so a solid lever rifle always seems to feel better in my hands.

I agree 30-06 is hard to beat for all around. I hunt in some pretty thick northeastern woods and my preference is my Remington Model 7ss in 7-08, topped with a Leupold VX3 2.5 x 8. It weighs about 6.5 lbs with scope. I have no problem anywhere out to 300 yds., but carry all day with no problem.

I would go 12 or 20 gauge semi auto with a rifled barrel. Something that provides quick follow up shots for running deer. Those northeast hardwood forests are thick and noisy. I grew up in Mass and killed a few whitetails with a Remington 870 pump. A Marlin or Winchester lever action would be my second choice.

I have my 45-70 that will work for now, and am looking into a nice 12 or 20 gauge slug rifle. I also have a '94 Winnie in 32 Win Spec with Lyman peep that I was passed down from my Grandfather. Kind of afraid of taking that one out...

Back