Nosler .243 BT on TX game

m1aggie01

Beginner
Sep 9, 2007
I'm working up a load for my brother for TX hunting. We see mainly whitetail and hog. I know the BT will take care of the deer but how about those hogs? Never had the privilege before. I was also considering the Partition but I don't have any on hand.

Hogs are tough. ............ BT's are good for deer, but I beleive I'd try to pick up some partitions or Accubonds.

I would opt for a 95 gr or 100 gr PT if you are going to hunt hogs.

JD338

Unfortunately, AccuBond is not an option in the 243. I'd use either a 95 or 100 Partition and maybe try an 85 Barnes TSX. For hogs, out of my arsenal, I would pick my 7mm08 and a 140 AccuBond or if I had to use my 243, I'd place an 85 TSX between his eye and ear and not worry about it.

Ahhh...Exactly why I was asking. I figured the answer would be he Partition. I have the Barnes for my .308 but never tried the Barnes in a .243. The problem is he only has a .243 so the bullet selection is important.

JDMAG":blkypsqt said:
PT or let him borrow a gun.

if you knew my brother's record with tearing $hit up, you'd probably rethink this statement! :). I'm talking about a guys that ran over his iPhone, in one of those otter boxes, with an empty trashcan and broke it!

I've witnessed 3 hog kills with a 243 and the bt did fine in all three cases. One was a 250 lb boar that my buddy shot broadside in the shoulder and dropped him. I wanted him to shoot a little back, but the hit was square in the shoulder plate. To my amazement, the little bt exited the offside shoulder. This may be an isolated case, but I now swear by them in the 243. This was a 95grain bullet. :grin: :grin:

Back