Nosler 48. Some questions

340Wby

Beginner
Jun 28, 2006
I'm looking at buying one :twisted: . Firstly I need to get some info before taking the plunge.

Are they an investment cast action? And do they offer a one piece bolt?

I'm pitting it up against one of my favorites, Sako. The Sako 75 & 85 actions are made from a solid billet of steel, & the bolts are a one-piece cast design.
I know the 85 stock isn't a thing of beauty. But this looks like a easy fix from McMillan. So if we add a new McMillan to it, the Sako 85 looks very semi-custom indeed.
Hmmmmm 270 or 300WSM Finnlight would look the part!

Are these Nosler's worth the extra bills over a Sako?

Thanks in advance, 340 :grin:

I have never shot or held a Sako,
Nosler is an American company that makes a great product. Sako is Finland??
I have a 280 Ai Nosler and would love to have a 48.
Correct me if I am wrong but I seem to recall Field and Stream chosing the 48 as the rifle of the year.
Check out the Nosler home page. They have ALOT of rounds through their action.

The Nosler M48 is very impresive the fit and finsh is top notch if I had the money I would have took it home. Maybe some day :grin: .

There is a thread running on the 24 HR Campfire on the M48 which has this in a post:

Well I've done a heap of research on this 48, & have compiled what I believe are the real facts. Which are =

Howa action & bolt, blueprinted/trued.
Machined from forged steel w/integral recoil lug.
One piece forged bolt.
Bottom metal is custom, Ted Blackburn-style(probably Sunnyhill).
Stainless Pac-Nor barrel(hand-lapped).
Timney trigger.
3 position safety.
Cerakote on all parts including firing pin.
Kevlar stock which looks to be real quality.

So Nosler what is your description for the M48, please and thank you?

jim

http://www.nosler.com/index.php?p=1&bullet=18

Looks like a pretty fair description. I'd want to lay my paws on one before spending a couple of thousand on a rifle. I've got a couple of equally expensive rifles, but didn't buy without a lot of good research, talking with the builders and getting my paws on their work.

FWIW, Guy

Here's the official information from www.nosler.com:

"The NoslerCustom Model 48 is built on the same action as our 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Edition Custom rifles—but in a round-top version that accepts standard scope mounting bases*. Nosler’s proprietary push-feed action features a 3-position safety and Timney adjustable trigger set to a crisp, 3 lb. let-off. The Model 48 offers exceptional precision and reliable performance. The action features classic Ted Blackburn-style, one-piece bottom metal and trigger guard. To achieve the highest level of accuracy, the Model 48 action is mated to a hand-lapped, 24” match grade stainless barrel that has been custom chambered for the high performance Winchester Short Magnum cartridge. A true all-weather rifle, the Model 48 integrates the unique MicroSlick™ Coating on interior metal surfaces, including inside the bolt body, on the firing pin, and firing pin spring for maximum corrosion and wear-resistance, even with extensive dry firing."

and

"This classic-styled rifle stock is built entirely of Kevlar composites for ruggedness and maximum weight savings. The stock’s durable, deep onyx gray finish complements the handsome, sniper-gray CERAKOTE™ coating on the barrel and action. Stock includes recoil pad and sling swivel studs."

Our M48 actions are investment cast and we use machined one-piece bolts. We have our actions manufactured to our specifications independent of Howa products. We are using hand-lapped Pac-Nor match grade barrels.

I get to play with Sako's and Nosler's fairly frequently...and I like the M48's best. :grin:

Thanks for that HunterJim & Nosler 4. You have provided me with what I was after, the truth. As it can be hard trying to dig up accurate features over the net.

Nosler 4,

I was just looking at recent Rifle Magazines, in particular Rifle 235 shows a photo of the Howa bolt on p.84, while Rifle 236 shows a photo of the M 48 on p.66. Both rilfes under discussion are chambered for WSMs, and I opine that you could swap the photos (less bolt tail piece) without notice.

So who does the action manufacture, and do they also manufacture Howa actions -- the world wonders? ;)

jim

Back