Nosler AccuBond 190 report and Questions

IdahoSportsman

Beginner
Feb 17, 2016
Hey Guys,

I am having some trouble... I think!

Please take a look at the photos...

1. I built a shooting box to eliminate as much human error as possible and it works it is very stable. I add sand bags on both side of the scope to stop right and left lean.

But I have heard that the barrel is like a tuning fork.. Is it bad that I built my box to hold the barrel??

Also I have included a photo of my target out of 9 shots at 100 yrds does this group look ok or is it because of the shooting bench?

Thanks

Ken

Attachments

• IMG_1814.JPG
    IMG_1814.JPG
    178 KB · Views: 947
  • IMG_1815.JPG
    IMG_1815.JPG
    172 KB · Views: 947
  • IMG_1813.JPG
    IMG_1813.JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 947
Oh yeah! Get that barrel off the front of the box buddy. Use a nice bag under the front action screw. Keep that barrel away from anything that could touch it.

It's a great looking rest, just get that barrel outta there. Looks like it'll work real well after you bag up the center.

Scotty has given you the straight skinny. I like my bag to be as close to the magazine as possible and a second under the butt of the stock. I don't like anything touching the barrel.

Ditto , Ditto and Ditto.
The responses are indicative of floating the barrel and NOTHING is to put any pressure on it from any angle. IMO - That is the part that is so hard to keep constant in the field or from a pressure point in the stock.

Yup, the barrel resting on anything will affect accuracy.

JD338

That's the kind of group expected with the barrel resting on the box! Actually, it may be a 'good' group for those conditions. Think you will be surprised and pleased when you follow the expert's advice. Love to see the results :)

I was wondering if that nice little cloverleaf at 7 o'clock were the first three shots.
Like the others have commented, nothing touching the barrel and the bags back by the action screws. My guess is you'll have a shooter.

I can't tell you the times I have seen guys at the rifle range shooting similar to your set up.
The results were the same. I then would see them keep adjusting their scope settings burning up the ammo, you could most likely fry eggs on the barrel too! :shock: :mrgreen:

You have been given excellent input from Scotty and the Nosler gang. I know you will see improved results making the corrections.

Good luck,
Don

...if you can come up w/ some lead shot bags filled w/ sand, I'd drop pairs of them into your shooting box, bringing your barrel up enough to clear the box, something like this...

I think all the others are correct, move the front rest back. I would like to add that if you have a big kicker hold straight down pressure on the fore-end, but don't touch the barrel when shooting for groups. This works for me on a rest like yours or from shooting sticks. The other thing I did was use rods in a vee just like the front rest only with loose fitting rubber hose in the back rest, that lets the gun roll back on recoil (don't know if this actually helps). The legs on the bench should also be solid with no movement if possible. Don't be surprised to get some really fine groups when you are done!

Back