Nosler Pressure Data

steve4102

Handloader
Sep 30, 2004
Why doesn't Nosler list the Pressure numbers in their manuals?

All the powder manufacturers as well as Lyman list these numbers, why does Nosler leave them out?

Thanks

No use just picking on the Nosler manual. :lol: I have the latest Barnes, Hornady, Nosler, Sierra and Speer manuals and not a one shows pressure data. :shock: As far as the Lyman Manual, I have the latest one of theirs as well and frankly, I question some of the data in that one in spite of their pressure data. Some of it apparently hasn't been retested since 1967.
Paul B.

PJGunner":td1x1cmy said:
No use just picking on the Nosler manual. :lol: I have the latest Barnes, Hornady, Nosler, Sierra and Speer manuals and not a one shows pressure data. .
Paul B.

Good point, I have asked "why" to most of them as well, no reply except from Sierra.

I can answer "why" Sierra does not list pressures, They do not test with pressure testing equipment, so there are no real numbers to list.

PJGunner":2pixidmo said:
No use just picking on the Nosler manual. :lol: I have the latest Barnes, Hornady, Nosler, Sierra and Speer manuals and not a one shows pressure data. :shock: As far as the Lyman Manual, I have the latest one of theirs as well and frankly, I question some of the data in that one in spite of their pressure data. Some of it apparently hasn't been retested since 1967.
Paul B.
The Lyman data says a 180g bullet will do 2840fps with 60g of H4831 in 30-06 loads. Well I am using 61g of AR2213SC which is H4831SC and I am only cracking 2660fps, with a 24 inch barrel.

This sort of thing makes published pressures useless. Goes to show that if you want to chase performance loads you are on you own and have to feel your own way.

bobnob":1hlb2gtq said:
PJGunner":1hlb2gtq said:
Paul B.
The Lyman data says a 180g bullet will do 2840fps with 60g of H4831 in 30-06 loads. Well I am using 61g of AR2213SC which is H4831SC and I am only cracking 2660fps, with a 24 inch barrel.

This sort of thing makes published pressures useless. Goes to show that if you want to chase performance loads you are on you own and have to feel your own way.

I think pressure data can be very useful for several reasons.
One being the use of Quickload. This forum has a lot of QL users and also several members that request QL data. Being able to compare QL generated pressures with actual pressure tested data could be extremely valuable when loading Nosler bullets.

It is accepted that all published data provided through bullet and powder manufacturers has been pressured tested. What is assured is that the pressure will not exceed SAAMI standards. Absolute pressures cannot be stated for a given hand loader as the variables cannot be controlled. If the one using the published data follows the recipe provided, they can be assured they will not usually exceed pressure standards. However, because of lot-to-lot variation in burn rate for a given powder, because of lot-to-lot variation in brisance for primers, and because of differences in chamber dimensions, the hand loader is still responsible to start low and work up a load, constantly observing results for excessive pressure.

DrMike":3txz7d1a said:
It is accepted that all published data provided through bullet and powder manufacturers has been pressured tested. What is assured is that the pressure will not exceed SAAMI standards. .

Sorry, but this is not entirely true. Not all published data has been "Pressure" tested. Sierra for example has no pressure testing equipment and test their loads the old fashioned way, they guess.

Hornady "Pressure" tests most of their loads, but not all, depends on if they have a pressure barrel for a particular cartridge or not. Page 74 Hornady #7.

Steve I know what you are getting at but I just see those numbers as a rough guide and the rest is educated trial and error. They are interesting to read of course and the more we have available, the less guessing we are doing.

But when you see data in a book that clearly is so far off the mark compared to what you are seeing for velocity in your own rifle, you are on your own to an extent if you want to chase top performance.

Ideally someone would invent a thingamajig to attach to your muzzle that magically reads pressure, so you could know exactly what's going on. If it was that simple I imagine they'd have done it by now.

Not that interested in gluing strain gauges to my barrel, and until a magical thingamajig is invented I am happy to apply the rule of thumb with judicious trial and error.

Would be fun to try one though.

Back