Nosler reloading data

ReloadKy

Handloader
May 13, 2020
I spend a lot of time researching reloading data. Mainly because I like to learn and my wife is either reading or watching something I don't care to watch on TV. As I look at the 7-08 nosler reloading data I notice that their test barrel is a 26 inch Wiseman barrel. How many people have ever seen or shot a 26 inch barrel 7mm-08?? I mean, it would be cool to have one, but the average shooter is going to have a 22 inch or at most a 24 inch barrel in 7mm-08. What other oddities have you all seen in Nosler or other manufacturers reloading data?

Manuals are littered with things that make you scratch your head...
The 7-08 thing...
Probably the #1 rifke chambered in that round is the model 7.
20" bbl or even the 18.5" in the youth model.

4" 44 Magnum's 🙄
Yes they exist but far more
6" -7.5" bbls are being loaded for

I can tell you the alliant site has the 300 wsm running 66 grains with a 180 bullet and reloader 17

Nosler has 64 grains as max
I tried 66 grains with a BST and no pressure signs. 3208 fps

Some say Nosler is a little on the lean side🤷‍♂️
Perhaps it is.?.
I always say this...
They are a safe guide...all mfg's are in the businesses to keep you shooting which also means safely.

If it's printed it's safe. Provided it's in a modern firearm of course.

I used to get caught up in the "firearm used" or "bbl used" but don't care now.
If it's in the book it's safe.
If you want true velocity from YOUR gun you'll have to invest in getting a chronograph.

Be safe and good luck

I've found Nosler data to be highly optimistic on their speeds posted. You might get there, but not at the charges they list. Doesn't matter if you're working up loads for a new Tikka or what..........the chrono speeds at the charge weights they list can be WAY off. And yes, you have to pay attention also to what test barrel they used.

For me Hodgdon data runs neck and neck right there of what to expect across a wide variety of cartridges I've worked with. Your results may vary.

The Hornady manual for 7-08 162 grain A-Max was very good for my 162 ELD-X. I ended up with 2653 at 39 grains of IMR 8208 XBR. I've never gotten anything that close with Nosler Data.

All said above is good. Just a thought what each manual posted is what they got in their gun used. Doesn't mean you will get the same in yours. If you want to know best thing to do is get a coronagraph. I like knowing what velocity is, but I'll take accuracy over speed any day. Just me. Dan.

Any reloading manual is a reference. Nosler, like many others, use a lot of premium barrels for their testing. Premium barrels from Krieger, Hart, Lilja, Shilen, etc offer a more consistent bore diameter with tighter tolerances as opposed to commercial production barrels. There is less likelihood of gasses blowing past the bullet, resulting in higher velocity and better accuracy.

JD338

The loading manuals we all have access to are a guide for loading the cartridges we shoot. The test barrels used to develop the printed data are all chambered to SAMMI minimum dimensions. The data in the manuals has to be safe in all guns in any specfic caliber. Some data will indicate modern firearms only. Some powders we use are temperature sensitive as well and will not deliver the printed velocity in very cold temps. I have experienced this myself predator hunting in the cold. The chronograph was the proof of the pudding so to say. Tipping the powder can until the velocity was back up to speed fixed my problem. The load I was using in 10 degrees would not be safe in 70 degrees.

Rule of thumb,,,,compare minimum and maximum loads on different manuals, pick a safe charge , start low and work up while using a chronograph. If seeking maximum velocity, being able to read pressure correctly is important. If trying to get maximum velocity, make sure that you are doing it in the summer and not during winter, otherwise you will get blown primers especially with temp sensitive powders if you shoot those loads in the summer that you had tested in the winter. Quickload and reloading manuals are just guides. I read what my fired brass tells me, how the rifle responds while opening the bolt ( stiff bolt, etc ) , and checking chronograph speeds to determine safe loads for my rifles.

Last edited:
I agree and understand what you guys are taking about regarding loading manuals and the data they publish. I always use the guides as a starting point for me to develop safe loads.
However, I just find it pretty senseless for Nosler to publish data for a 7mm-08 using a 26 inch barrel when 99% of shooters are never going to fire a 7mm-08 with a 26 inch barrel.

I agree and understand what you guys are taking about regarding loading manuals and the data they publish. I always use the guides as a starting point for me to develop safe loads.
However, I just find it pretty senseless for Nosler to publish data for a 7mm-08 using a 26 inch barrel when 99% of shooters are never going to fire a 7mm-08 with a 26 inch barrel.
I'm the 1%, lol. All my rifles have 26 inch barrels.

It still doesn’t make any sense to me for Nosler to use a 26” barrel for 7mm-08 load data.
I agree 100% Makes absolutely no sense at all.. All I can say is, get the most from what you have. It's the only choice you and the rest of us have. Approach YOUR max load carefully and be safe. In my opinion, each rifle has it's own max load.. sometimes the best accuracy is right there at max, sometimes you have to back off a bit from max to get the best groups your rifle is capable of. I suppose we all have done that in our travels... In my experience for example, a deer won't know the difference in 100 or 200 fps velocity if you do your part. I sure hope I don't get flamed for my reply. I've been wondering why things are the way they are sometimes in loading manuals. I just use the tools I have these days and do what I can to find what my gun likes and call it good. When you find something that doesn't make sense to you, it probably doesn't make sense to anyone. Find a load your gun likes and have fun with it. Fun and learning is always my goal in this game.

Rule of thumb,,,,compare minimum and maximum loads on different manuals, pick a safe charge , start low and work up while using a chronograph. If seeking maximum velocity, being able to read pressure correctly is important. If trying to get maximum velocity, make sure that you are doing it in the summer and not during winter, otherwise you will get blown primers especially with temp sensitive powders if you shoot those loads in the summer that you had tested in the winter. Quickload and reloading manuals are just guides. I read what my fired brass tells me, how the rifle responds when opening the bolt, and checking chronograph speeds to determine safe loads for my rifles.
I'm right with you Tack Driver! Very good advice!

I pay very little attention to barrel length in reloading manuals. That said, I think most of my manuals list a 24" barrel length. I didn't realise that Nosler used 26" until this post.

Back