Nosler solid base boat tails..how are they

chola

Beginner
Jul 30, 2007
I just picked up some of these bullets for my Ruger 270 RSI...They are 150 and 130 grain...I do most of my hunting out to the 300 yard mark max,mainly deer and the occasional if lucky...how will these perform,do you guys think they would do the job at hand?

Thanks in advance for all advice :grin:

chola

The Solid Base line of bullets were designed for deer hunting. Either weight will work great on deer in your 270 Win.

JD338

Yep, Like JD said.
They are an older technology, but still a fine bullet.
I wouldn't be afraid to use the 150's on elk either.

I bought some of the 165gr Solid Base for my .300 Win Mag. (Factory Loads, because they were cheap). These bullets shoot really well and I expanded one in water from about 150 yards. I shot a 5 gallon plastic water bottle. It penatrated the whole length (I think it was about 22 inches, putting a huge dent in the far side of the bottle). The bottle flew about 10 feet in the air and landed about 30 feet from where it was originally. It damn near ripped the thick plastic bottle in two. I found the bullet on the ground about 5 feet from where the bottle was originally placed. The only thing was the lead core was about 2 inches from the jacket. But, when put back together it was a perfect mushroom. I've glued it back together and it sits on my loading bench.

I don't think Nosler has ever produced anything but superior products, so, although older technology, it is a Nosler product and that means quality. If I didn't live in California (the Condor Capitol of the world) I'd be using these bullets as well as the AccuBond, ballistic tip and Partition.

I'm very happy the E-Tip was introduced as I still get to use a Nosler product while hunting this year.

I was happy with the original Nosler Solid Base bullets 20+ years ago and remain satisfied with those I've purchased in recent years. They're a good, dependable deer bullet.

In heavier weights, I'd consider 'em for elk - except that I already have Nosler Partitions for that chore! :grin:

Back