Nosler vs Remington 25-06 Brass

Its good stuff. I'm slowly phasing out all my other brass. The cost is worth it in my opinion too. Time is money and the extra $20 so I don't have to prep it is well worth it alone. (More Shooting!!!)

I'm using Nosler brass in my 280 Rem. I have some Remington bras, but all I use it for is loading fouler rounds. I've been using Norma brass for my 300 WSM with the same results ad the Nosler.

Treated myself to some brand spanking new Nosler .25-06 brass before the season last year.

VERY nice stuff!

I switched my .257 Roberts over to Nosler brass, my .32 H&R to Lapua and my 9.3x74R to Norma.

Oldtrader3":snmip4xq said:
I switched my .257 Roberts over to Nosler brass, my .32 H&R to Lapua and my 9.3x74R to Norma.

First rate components, Charlie.

I was going to order me some Nosler brass today. I thought I would ask first though if there are any promo codes out there to use to get some help with buying some of this FINE brass!?

I use Lapua brass for all cartridges that it's available in. However, high quality brass isn't available for all cartridges. The most accurate big game rifle that I own is a custom 7 STW. I was limited to Rem brass which is arguably the worst brass made. Interestingly enough, with a little common brass prep I was able to get handloaded rem brass to shoot sub 1/2 moa groups with full power loads on a regular basis.

Sometimes I wonder just how important high quality (expensive) brass is for 99% of the shooting we regularly do.

Charlie-NY":3r5da8lb said:
I use Lapua brass for all cartridges that it's available in. However, high quality brass isn't available for all cartridges. The most accurate big game rifle that I own is a custom 7 STW. I was limited to Rem brass which is arguably the worst brass made. Interestingly enough, with a little common brass prep I was able to get handloaded rem brass to shoot sub 1/2 moa groups with full power loads on a regular basis.

Sometimes I wonder just how important high quality (expensive) brass is for 99% of the shooting we regularly do.

Charlie, I think you can get Norma and Nosler for the STW now though, if it means anything. I have seen it as 2nds on SPS a few times now.. It has almost triggered a rifle purchase everytime.

I've been known to hunt around for brass, myself. In fact, that 7pt I shot the last morning of the season, I watched him drop, confirmed he was down for the count, and went to collecting the brass I'd shot. Never did find one piece, despite significant looking. That's why I don't like shooting at running deer! The doe I shot in the afternoon went like it should - Line up crosshairs, Pull trigger, Watch fall in place, Confirm, Eject spent (expensive) Weatherby brass into my hand, Place in zipper pocket, Go collect deer. ;)

Dubyam,

I still grieve over brass that was ejected and lost twenty-five years ago. :cry: I lost one piece of 350RM brass in the snow one year, and continued searing in the spring (after the snow melted) until I found it. :grin: As prices increase, I will undoubtedly become more compulsive and meticulous. :twisted:

DrMike":3i25aku3 said:
Dubyam,

I still grieve over brass that was ejected and lost twenty-five years ago. :cry: I lost one piece of 350RM brass in the snow one year, and continued searing in the spring (after the snow melted) until I found it. :grin: As prices increase, I will undoubtedly become more compulsive and meticulous. :twisted:

I am nutty about brass, but with the way I lose my mind when I actually shoot at living animals, finding my brass is usually something I don't think about! :lol: I figure I can stomach a couple pieces not being recovered. Especially from the lever guns.. They seem to wing them pretty far!

SJB358":29ybcxez said:
DrMike":29ybcxez said:
Dubyam,

I am nutty about brass, but with the way I lose my mind when I actually shoot at living animals, finding my brass is usually something I don't think about! :lol: I figure I can stomach a couple pieces not being recovered. Especially from the lever guns.. They seem to wing them pretty far!

@Scotty - Lever gun brass is definitely hard to find. I bet it's got something to do with the exuberance with which I (and likely you, and many others) work the lever in the field... ;)

@Mike - I hear you on searching until you find it. I'm liable to be out searching for that piece of 300Wby brass again before spring. I actually went back and looked once more after getting the deer in the truck, but still could not find it. I also went back twice to look for the 350RemMag brass after I shot that coyote a few weeks ago. I did finally find that one...

Charlie-NY":bi0n4qsl said:

Charlie - You're right, for most of our shooting (mine anyway) standard brass works out just fine. Look what you did, with a little work on that Remington brass; 1/2 MOA groups from a hard-hitting hunting rifle!

Although I value high-quality brass, I've also done real well using standard Remington, Winchester and Federal brass for most of my handloading. It's gotten me to "high master" in NRA long-range competition.

Lapua, Norma & Nosler are all great brands of brass, and very high quality, but with a little work, the more pedestrian brands can be counted on as well.

Regards, Guy

Charlie is correct. I have no choice but to use Winchester, Federal, Remington or even PMC in many instances. All can be made suitable for excellent hand loads; all can work to craft exceptionally accurate ammunition. I have often heard how poor some of these brands can be. It has not been my experience that any are terrible; it has been my experience that all does require inspection and preparation. With Norma and Lapua, less time is spent in preparation and more firings before needing to address brass hardening seems to be the norm. With Nosler, I know that I am getting quality brass that avoids some of the initial preparation. Whether that extra cost is merited or not depends upon the shooter.

sask boy":1qjqk25o said:
I would like to get Nosler 280 AI brass but it is rare in this part of the country.
But I am going to try to find some :). If I can get 100 to 150 pieces I should be set for
a long time!

Blessings,
Dan

I was at the sportsmans warehouse here in colo. Sprgs. Co. They had 5 boxes of your 280 AI nosler custom brass on the shelf. Might check online

I've always used Rem brass with great results but would really like to try the Nosler stuff. I know it cost more but from everything i hear it's worth it. I load mainly 25.06 for myself and my son and 260 for my daughter. Can you get more loadings from nosler brass compared to others?

JD338 - When switching from Rem to Nosler what the reason for reducing the charge, does it have to do with the thickness of the brass? Thanks!

I have not noticed the need to change the load for the cartridges that I have switched to Nosler brass. In fact, I did a lot of shooting last summer with Nosler cases loaded for the .257 Roberts and I used the same loads at about the same velocities that I normally use.

Back