Noslet Mdl 48 information please

noexperience

Beginner
Sep 27, 2011
so for all you owners of Mdl 48, here is my story. I have purchased quite a few winchester mdl 70 and remingtons. Once i get them, I bed them, have the triggers worked, and if they don't shoot, rebarrel in extreme cases. for the money invested, by the time I get them the way I like them, am I better off just buying a Mdl 48 and at least in theory not having to do any of that? how is the build quality? materials used? everyone happy? they have my interest.
thanks

Buy the Model 48. You won't find it necessary to make any adjustments. If, somehow, it isn't up to Nosler standards, they will make it right.

I purchased my Nosler 48 300WSM in 2006 or early 2007. It shoots Nosler factory ammo (Trophy Grade) into less than 3/4" as well as cheap Federal "Blue Box" and my better developed handloads. I picked up a case of Trophy Grade ammo a year after purchase and use it as my primary hunting ammunition.

I hunt on average of 75-100 days per year and the 48 is the only big game rifle I've used since then. I hunt mostly from backpack but sometimes from snowmachine, atvs, skis, mountain bike and jeep from temperatures of -45 to 80 in every form of weather up here. As you can imagine- I'm not easy on the rifle at all. The finish on both the stock and metal is showing a few nicks and dings but it still shoots well. This year I took it on a sheep hunt for 10 days of non stop rain.

I had to have the trigger replaced and receiver reworked this year after a unique failure and Nosler had the rifle out and back to me within 15 days. I've had two scope failures but that's not exactly rifle related. The only other work I've done to the rifle is clean and shoot it.

My other rifles are jealous.

hodgeman":1jtutpfm said:
I purchased my Nosler 48 300WSM in 2006 or early 2007. It shoots Nosler factory ammo (Trophy Grade) into less than 3/4" as well as cheap Federal "Blue Box" and my better developed handloads. I picked up a case of Trophy Grade ammo a year after purchase and use it as my primary hunting ammunition.

I hunt on average of 75-100 days per year and the 48 is the only big game rifle I've used since then. I hunt mostly from backpack but sometimes from snowmachine, atvs, skis, mountain bike and jeep from temperatures of -45 to 80 in every form of weather up here. As you can imagine- I'm not easy on the rifle at all. The finish on both the stock and metal is showing a few nicks and dings but it still shoots well. This year I took it on a sheep hunt for 10 days of non stop rain.

I had to have the trigger replaced and receiver reworked this year after a unique failure and Nosler had the rifle out and back to me within 15 days. I've had two scope failures but that's not exactly rifle related. The only other work I've done to the rifle is clean and shoot it.

My other rifles are jealous.

GREAT information, thanks. I will never likely hunt under the conditions you experience everyday, so a pretty darn good testimonial for Nosler. now all I have to do is pick the right caliber to have some fun with ! Nosler is pretty well known for service, just like that other Oregon company, Leupold !

noexperience":6rq5s6ay said:
... now all I have to do is pick the right caliber to have some fun with ! Nosler is pretty well known for service, just like that other Oregon company, Leupold !

From a customer service perspective I've had excellent results with both Nosler and Leupold!

As for cartridge to chamber it in you've got more choices than I did when I bought mine. I believe back then you were pretty well limited to the 270, 300 and 325WSMs. I picked the .300WSM and haven't looked back since, although I think I would have been happy with any of them. A re-barrel will likely turn it into a .325 but that's years away if ever.

That said- if I were to purchase the rifle new again I would likely get a 280AI with the light profile barrel. Excellent ballistics and one more poke in the belly...although I've not shot at a critter a second time yet. Otherwise, I'm all about short actions and lightweight rifles.

Back